Premenstrual syndrome - this concept is familiar to many women who are in reproductive age. What is he like? First of all, it is a complex of symptoms that appear in the second phase of the menstrual cycle. In most cases, PMS is accompanied by painful symptoms that disrupt the natural lifestyle and adversely affect the ability to work. A woman during this period becomes irritable, emotionally unbalanced, she can cry over trifles, be depressed. As a rule, premenstrual syndrome begins to manifest several days before menstruation.
Main symptoms of PMS
Many women on the eve of menstruation notice a number of unpleasant symptoms, which are called premenstrual symptoms. It should also be noted that their manifestation and timing are purely individual order. In some cases, violations are noted in a day or two, while others are “twisted” within two weeks.
The main unpleasant symptoms that a woman faces are:
- breast augmentation, pain in it,
- pulling pains in the abdomen,
- loss of appetite (lack or increase)
- pain in the heart, palpitations,
In addition, PMS is reflected in the emotional sphere of women. A woman in this period becomes irritable, sometimes aggressive, tearful. The lady for any reason spoils the mood, everything around her is seen in dark colors. Perhaps an increase or decrease in sexual desire, memory impairment, sleep disturbance.
All indicated symptoms disappear with the onset of menstruation or after their termination.
It is best during this period to surround a woman with love and care. It is worth noting that more than half of the female population of our country suffer from the painful manifestation of premenstrual syndrome.
Why painful PMS symptoms occur
Definitely determine the causes of painful symptoms on the eve of menstruation while medicine can not, therefore, there are several basic, more likely, to which medical scientists tend. And so, the culprits of premenstrual syndrome can be:
- disruption of the system of regulation of hormonal background in the body,
- a large amount of prolactin on the eve of menstruation,
- excessive formation of androstenedione in the adrenal glands,
- increased prostaglandin production,
- lowering the level of opiates in the body (provide a good mood and a positive effect on the system of regulation of the menstrual cycle).
- violation of biological rhythms about the body, they include sleep, rest, period of activity, which naturally affects the course of neuro-mental processes.
In addition, there is an assumption that the occurrence of pain during PMS occurs as a result of fluctuations in the level of sex hormones throughout the menstrual cycle. There are scientific grounds for the fact that estrogens and progesterones actively affect the central nervous system, as well as the centers that are responsible for mood and behavior (estrogens are responsible for good mood, progesterones are calming).
How to determine premenstrual syndrome
Observing a woman for the symptoms that appear on certain days of the cycle and repeat regularly suggest PMS. And so, official medicine says that unpleasant painful symptoms depend on a certain phase of the menstrual cycle, they appear, as a rule, a week before menstruation and disappear after they start, this is already a clear sign of premenstrual syndrome. In addition, it is possible to assume this syndrome on the basis of clinical symptoms:
- violation of emotional stability (tearfulness, sadness, longing),
- instant irritability and anger,
- internal anxiety, tension,
- feeling of hopelessness, gratuitous mood decay.
These symptoms are necessarily combined with a decrease in interest in work, hobbies, fatigue, loss of energy, increased appetite, insomnia, or drowsiness.
Special laboratory or instrumental methods of research also help to diagnose premenstrual syndrome. These include ultrasound scans of the brain, an x-ray of the skull, an MRI scan, and consultations with a neurologist and a psychiatrist.
In the case when a woman has edema, they observe the volume of fluid released and consumed for four days in each phase of the cycle. Mammograms and blood tests for creatinine and urea are also prescribed to obtain data on kidney function.
How to reduce or completely eliminate the symptoms of PMS
With a pronounced premenstrual syndrome, the woman is shown therapeutic treatments. The main task is to block ovulation in the ovaries with medications, to normalize the interaction of female hormones with serotonin. This will reduce the clinical symptoms of PMS and significantly improve a woman’s quality of life.
In addition to taking medications, you must also change your lifestyle. First of all you need:
- reduce sugar intake and easily digestible carbohydrates,
- limit the amount of tea and salt
- completely give up alcohol and coffee,
- eliminate stressful situations
- reconsider the regime of the day, a woman needs good rest and sleep,
- daily fresh air
- do general massage and neck massage.
When treating PMS with medications, hormonal and non-hormonal drugs are considered.
Of course, first of all you need to seek help from vitamin complexes and homeopathy. And if these methods turned out to be ineffective, then they resort to hormonal drugs. However, remember that the appointment should be made only by the attending physician, taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism. Self-medication can be hazardous to health.
Why pains occur in PMS
The second phase of the menstrual cycle is characterized by the development of premenstrual syndrome (this is deciphering PMS in women) - a complex of symptoms that indicate the onset of critical days. The most common symptoms include premenstrual pain in the breast. This symptom is alarming for girls who are in reproductive age, since chest pains can signal the development of a disease like cancer. In order to distinguish premenstrual syndrome from the symptom of a dangerous pathology, it is necessary to become familiar with the nature of the painful sensations.
How is the syndrome manifested
According to medical practice, women notice the first manifestations of premenstrual syndrome a week before the start of critical days. First of all, the emotional sphere is exposed to negative changes: the girl becomes irritable and tense. After a few days, aggression gives way to unreasonable apathy and longing, which indicates a lack of emotional stability.
Changes in the emotional sphere are accompanied by specific pains in the region of the mammary glands and lower back, as well as in the lower abdomen. The development of pain syndrome leads to a deterioration in the general condition of the woman and causes a decrease in the quality of performance, memory impairment and loss of sexual desire.
Signs of approaching menstruation also include an increase in body temperature, an increase in appetite, the formation of puffiness, insomnia. With the onset of critical days, the intensity of the manifestation of unpleasant symptoms decreases, and by the end of menstruation - the premenstrual syndrome disappears.
Causes of pain
The main factors provoking the development of pain, include:
- changes in the hormonal level as a result of improper functioning of the regulatory system,
- an increase in prolactin,
- a surplus of prostaglandin in the body,
- lack of opiates that contribute to the normal flow of the menstrual cycle,
- violation of biological processes - in this case, pain arises as a result of neuro-psychological disorder.
In addition, pain in PMS occurs as a result of hormonal fluctuations that occur in the female body during the premenstrual period.
The structure of the female mammary gland includes glandular tissue enveloped in the tubules, fibrous ligaments, and fatty tissue, which gives the breast volume. The main reason for the occurrence of painful sensations in the breast area is a change in the structure of the tissues that make up the breast, due to the development of hormonal imbalance.
In addition to changes in hormonal levels, chest pain can be triggered by the following factors:
- Unstable menstrual cycle.
- Exhausting diet, which involves the exclusion from the diet of plant fiber and beneficial vitamins.
- Genetic predisposition.
- Excess weight.
- Constant stressful situations.
- Termination of pregnancy with the help of drugs.
The causes of the development of painful sensations in the mammary glands may be gynecological. Sexually transmitted diseases contribute to changes in hormone levels, with the result that a woman experiences painful sensations not only in the chest area, but also in the lower abdomen.
No less common cause of pain is an inflammatory process that affects the mammary glands. Mastopathy is a treacherous female disease and, in the absence of timely treatment, can provoke the formation of a malignant tumor.
Nature of pain
The degree of pain syndrome and its duration depends on the individual characteristics of the organism. Normally, premenstrual syndrome occurs a week before the start of critical days and is accompanied by minor painful sensations and an increase in the mammary glands. Breast swelling is the result of the formation of additional glandular cells, which are replaced by connective tissue with the onset of menstruation.
More rarely, women represent the presence of sharp and sharp pain, occasionally alternating with aching pain. This symptom indicates the development of the pathological process in the event that it is accompanied by other specific signs - discharge from the mammary glands, the presence of induration or deformity of the breast. In order to eliminate the presence of dangerous pathological changes in the chest, it is necessary to undergo a thorough examination.
Diagnosis and treatment of pain
The first diagnostic measure is a visit to the gynecologist, who will perform an external examination of the breast and with the help of palpation will detect seals. At the second stage, the patient is sent for consultation to the mammologist, who carries out the mammography procedure. In order for the doctor to determine the cause of the pain, the woman visits the ultrasound and gives blood to determine the hormonal level. Based on the results obtained, the doctor determines the exact diagnosis and prescribes the appropriate treatment.
With a slight change in the hormonal background, women are prescribed the use of commonly available medications - vitamin complexes, herbal preparations and anti-inflammatory drugs. If hormonal changes are accompanied by serious changes in the structure of the mammary glands, the gynecologist prescribes the following groups of medicines:
- hormonal drugs - Bimekurin, Utrozhesan,
- tranquilizers - Diazepam,
- Neuroleptics - Thioridazine.
The dosage and duration of drug therapy is determined by the attending physician, based on the diagnosis and the individual characteristics of the organism. In order for the treatment to be positive, the woman regularly visits the gynecologist's consultation.
How to reduce pain
The intensity of the manifestation of premenstrual syndrome depends on how well a woman eats. Reduce the pain will help balanced diet, which consists of a large number of vegetables, fruits, lean meat, fish and nuts. It is equally important to use foods that contain large amounts of magnesium, calcium and zinc.
Noticeable decreases in pain are noted by women who adhere to the correct lifestyle. Full sleep, moderate physical activity and daily walks stabilize hormonal levels. This phenomenon reduces the level of pain syndrome and improves the general well-being of women.
In that case, if you prevent the development of premenstrual syndrome did not work, you must try to remove the pulling pain. For this, women use warm compresses based on medicinal decoction of sage, motherwort and St. John's wort. It is worth remembering that compresses, relieving pain, is prohibited to apply in the presence of mechanical damage or the development of serious pathology.
Symptoms of pain before menstruation
Under the premenstrual syndrome (PMS) understand the common pathologies that appear before menstruation and passing with the onset of bleeding. The syndrome is primarily caused by dysfunctions of the central nervous system, vegetative-vascular or metabolic-endocrine pathologies.
PMS is characterized by: causeless irritation, weakness and dizziness, nausea, depression, tearfulness, manifestations of aggressive behavior, heartache, discomfort in the chest and lower back, swelling, flatulence, shortness of breath. Some women have inappropriate behavior.
Symptoms of pain before menstruation are divided into neuropsychic, edematous, cephalgic and crisp manifestations.
Neuropsychiatric form inherent in depressive states, irritability, aggression, weakness and tearfulness.
Inflammation of the premenstrual syndrome includes engorgement and breast augmentation. Swelling can face, legs, fingers. Often, women show an increased response to odors, increased sweating, bloating.
Cephalgic changes include intense, throbbing headache, often extending to the eye area. Observed pain in the area of the heart, nausea, vomiting, excessive sweating or numbness of the extremities.
The ICP crisis form is characterized by sympathetic-adrenal crises. Signs of the process are an increase in pressure, an oppressive sensation in the chest area, accompanied by fear of death and palpitations. Pathology appears more often in the dark because of the stress experienced, severe fatigue, due to an infectious disease. Often the end of the crisis is accompanied by active urination.
The frequency, strength and duration of symptoms distinguish mild or severe premenstrual syndrome. The mild form has no more than 4 symptoms, of which 1-2 are clearly pronounced (occur in 2-10 days). Severe syndrome has from 5 to 12 unpleasant conditions, and 2-5 of them are most manifested (a maximum of 14 / at least 3 days before the onset of menstrual bleeding is detected).
Most of the fair sex are familiar with a feeling of engorgement, increased sensitivity of the mammary glands before the onset of menstruation. The chest increases in volume, the tissues of the body become more dense. This is due to blood flow and swelling of the glands. The cause of chest pain before menstruation is a change in hormonal balance.
Periodic chest pain or mastodynia is a natural process. Mammary glands are hormone-dependent organs. Ovarian, progesterone and estradiol lead to monthly changes in the glands. The second part of the cycle occurs under the influence of progesterone, which increases the amount of glandular tissue in the breast (preparation for pregnancy and lactation), causes its consolidation. The norm is a slight soreness in the chest area.
Mastodia is combined with other symptoms - headache, blood pressure jumps, severe swelling of limbs, psycho-emotional disorders, etc. Comprehensive exposure is assigned when taking into account the severity of pain, including:
Reactions occurring in the body at the hormonal level, cause headaches before menstruation. The appearance of pain of varying intensity before and their disappearance after menstruation is considered a normal physiological process.
Biochemical changes in the body affect the cyclical hormonal changes. As a result, pains in the head of varying intensity often occur, radiating to the eyeball, sleep disturbances, dizziness, fainting.
Estrogen hormone plays a leading role in increasing female susceptibility to stress factors, which in turn provoke the development of menstrual migraine. The process is particularly painful on the background of circulatory disorders, usually with vomiting, acute sensitivity to light and noise. Acute seizures may occur as a result of taking estrogen-containing contraceptives.
It is rare to meet a woman who feels comfortable on the eve of critical days. Боли перед месячными хоть раз в жизни испытывала каждая.Depending on the state of health and the individual characteristics of the body, hormonal disturbances, cyclical changes in the internal genital organs, premenstrual syndrome, latent diseases manifest themselves as unpleasant sensations in the lower abdomen. Should I worry about the occurrence of unwanted symptoms - depends on their nature and intensity. The presence of severe spasms, painful periods of painful periods, can be a signal of a dangerous condition and is always a reason for a deep medical examination.
The line between the norm and pathology in the development of painful symptoms before the menstrual cycle and during it is quite thin. The concept of "severe pain" for each woman has its own meaning. In women with low and high pain thresholds, the same sensation causes different responses. The first literally fall from their feet from the unbearable pain, which for the second seems quite tolerable. For this reason, the mere description of painful symptoms causes difficulty for doctors, and other features are required to be recorded.
The reasons worsening state of health before menstruation, there are many:
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS). It is a mistake to suppose that the signs of the approaching menstruation appear in 1–2 days. Often they occur a week or earlier. Typical manifestations for most: aching or lingering pain in the lower abdomen, accompanied by autonomic or neurological symptoms. PMS, from a medical point of view, is not a pathology if it causes low-intensity symptoms and does not disrupt the normal regimen.
- Hypothermia The habit of wearing light, out of season clothes and shoes, forced long-term exposure to cold often entail a subsequent vasospasm in the pelvic area and soreness before the onset of menstruation.
- Exhausting physical exertion. Hard work, playing sports, or lifting weights on the eve of menstruation almost always lead to pain.
- Insufficient physical activity. Habit for a long time to sit in one place, dislike for walking and walking cause a violation of blood circulation and congestion in the pelvic region, which is one of the factors causing pain.
- Pathology of the digestive tract. Irritable bowel syndrome, dysbiosis, colitis before menstruation are exacerbated, bloating, flatulence, and colic appear.
- Obesity. Excess internal fatty tissue in the abdominal cavity leads to a change in hormonal levels, increases blood stasis in the genitals, which is manifested by pain before menstruation.
- Intrauterine devices. These contraceptives have many disadvantages, among which are frequent manifestations of algomenorrhea.
- Gynecological disorders. One of the most common conditions that cause soreness before critical days is endometriosis - the growth of the epithelium lining the uterus, beyond its limits. The deviation of the body back or its physical underdevelopment invariably leads to pain before the start of the cycle.
- Complications after surgeries on the pelvic organs or after difficult labor. The presence of scars and other destructive tissue changes often cause acyclic and premenstrual pain.
- Inflammation and pain in the kidneys. Many forms of jade are exacerbated on the eve of menstruation.
The question whether a healthy woman’s stomach can hurt before menstruation causes a lot of discussion in medical circles. Most hold the opinion that physiological pains always have low intensity, diffuse nature, should not be perceived as stabbing, cutting or twitching.
What diseases cause pain before menstruation
Pathological pains before the onset of menstruation are not always secondary, they can occur immediately after the formation of the cycle. In these cases, talk about congenital health problems. Finding out the real reason for the deterioration of health in adolescents and young girls is not easy, especially if the external examination and general laboratory tests do not indicate the presence of violations.
Common diseases that may cause primary pain before menstruation:
- lack of endocrine activity of the ovaries, adrenal glands, pituitary,
- connective tissue dysplasia.
In such states, pain begins to develop a week or earlier before the intended cycle, and severe premenstrual syndrome with many somatic and nervous symptoms is likely:
- dizziness, headaches, migraines,
- blood pressure surges,
- heavy sweating
- numbness of fingers,
- violation of thermoregulation,
- general swelling,
- the appearance of extra pounds
Often, the bones and the whole body hurt, the skin turns pale or red, and there are nagging pains of medium or heavy intensity in the abdomen.
In endometriosis, a typical symptom, in addition to painful symptoms, is the specific nature of the discharge: they begin and end with dark brown clots, indicating the presence of endometrial cells outside the uterus.
It is very dangerous if sharp tearing or cramping pains suddenly appear shortly before menstruation. This may indicate a progressive myoma, an ectopic pregnancy, or a beginning miscarriage.
Adhesions in the pelvic area, salpingo-oophoritis, cyst cause severe pain of the ovary in almost all cases of morbidity. Often, algomenorrhea is accompanied by violations of the menstrual cycle itself - delays in the onset of menstruation from several days to two or more weeks.
Many sexually transmitted infections are hidden, and in advanced cases affect the uterus and appendages. A few days before the beginning of menstruation, the pathogen is activated under the influence of hormonal shift, causing a number of negative symptoms: severe itching and swelling of the external genital organs, burning, physical discomfort, the presence of strange secretions - abdominal pain can also appear for these reasons.
Diseases not related to gynecology, in which severe pains appear in the premenstrual period:
- acute or chronic appendicitis,
- intestinal obstruction
- varicose veins of the pelvis,
- stone output from the bladder or ureter.
If these pathologies are associated with PMS, abdominal pain may be mistaken for severe uterine contractions before menstruation.
To determine why before the monthly stomach ache, you need to undergo a detailed examination. As a rule, it begins with the collection of anamnesis. The doctor interviews the patient, figuring out during which period negative signs appeared, as well as:
- regular or occasional pains, what is their nature,
- are there any other symptoms
- Does the patient use barrier and other types of contraception?
- are there any problems in the sex life, if so, which ones
- Whether inflammatory or infectious diseases were detected, whether there were pregnancies, abortions, or childbirth.
For laboratory general and biochemical studies are necessary samples of urine, blood, scraping from the mucous membrane of the vagina and cervix. Bacterial culture, ELISA, PCR may be required if there is reason to suspect that the pain in the lower abdomen is the result of an infectious lesion.
To determine possible pathologies of the internal organs for any nature of symptoms, an ultrasound scan is prescribed. The doctor assesses the location and shape of the uterus, the state of the endometrium, the ovaries, the patency of the fallopian tubes, reveals signs of inflammation or changes. In difficult cases, diagnostic laparoscopy is performed.
If there is reason to believe that the resulting pain is a consequence of diseases and pains of the intestines, a colonoscopy or MRI is performed.
To determine the pain threshold, the sensitivity of the woman’s nervous system on a skin fold can be tested with an algesimeter.
In some cases, the diagnosis may take up to several months.
Pain before menstruation
The usual premenstrual syndrome in the absence of any diseases does not cause a pronounced pain. The discomfort characteristic of this period is a feeling of tension or blurry, not having a clear localization, squeezing in the lower abdomen. Signs do not increase during movement or in a certain posture; they may be accompanied by slight muscular weakness, mood changes, and drowsiness. May increase the sensitivity of the nipples. Symptoms may occur a day or a few days before menstruation, every month in the same period.
Pathologically flowing PMS manifests itself in different ways and is part of algomenorrhea. Severe pains often appear not only before menstruation, but also long before them, as well as in the middle of the cycle. Feelings are cramping or aching in nature, cover the entire abdominal cavity, give the lower back, anus, buttocks, upper thighs. The pain responds poorly to the use of analgesics. Premenstrual pain may be accompanied by unpleasant symptoms: a disorder of the gastrointestinal tract, nausea, cramps of the lower extremities.
The painful cutting pain at one point, which causes one to bend in half or look for a suitable posture, is never the result of premenstrual syndrome. This may be a sign of appendicitis, renal colic, cyst rupture, fibroids, fallopian tube.
You can take any medication only if you are sure of the cause of the pain that occurs, that is, after passing the diagnosis. Otherwise, you can aggravate the physical condition.
If there are violations of endocrine functions, diseases of the ovaries, the thyroid gland, hormone replacement therapy and taking vitamins of group B, A, E, ascorbic acid in therapeutic dosages are usually prescribed. These can be injections or vitamin-mineral complexes and special dietary supplements.
Inflammatory diseases of the urogenital area require the use of a course of antibiotics. If the cause of the pain of a cutting or sharp spasmodic nature are systemic or intestinal diseases, one cannot do without restoring the normal functioning of the diseased organs with the help of special preparations.
For severely flowing PMS, a set of measures is needed to help correct the violation of the flow of menstrual blood, prevent puffiness in the genital area, and eliminate symptoms. To do this, prescribe a course of physiotherapy: electrophoresis, ultraviolet and laser irradiation. Apply analgesics, antispasmodics, with which you can get rid of severe pain attacks. Among the recommendations: therapeutic exercises, massage, herbal medicine. Well relieve premenstrual pain and relieve other symptoms of PMS decoctions of sage, knotweed herbs, root silverweed, yarrow, shepherd's bag.
Excellent therapeutic effect have swimming, dancing, skiing, aerobic types of physical activity.
The pain before menstruation is a reason to go to a medical facility, especially if the symptom is intermittent. The first doctor to go to the appointment is a gynecologist. According to the results of the examination, complaints and received analyzes, consultation of an endocrinologist, a neuropathologist, a psychotherapist will be required, since most often abdominal pains before menstruation are hormone-dependent or neurogenic. During the examination, the patient may be referred to an osteopath, a surgeon, a gastroenterologist, and genetics.
Very severe pain before the onset of menstruation is not the norm, but indicates the presence of hormonal disorders, genetic abnormalities, defects in the physiological development of the reproductive system, or hidden diseases. To get rid of suffering and prevent serious complications, you need to react in time to any changes in your usual well-being and seek help from specialists.
Menstruation is a natural process in the body, characterized by the normal functioning of the female reproductive system. Nevertheless, every woman experiences different pains in intensity and duration before menstruation. Soreness in the lower abdomen may be insignificant, and may cause severe discomfort, which does not allow a woman to fully carry out any activity.
- Weak and short-term pain is often not considered a pathology, and the general condition and well-being of a woman can be described as normal.
- But if the pains become permanent, intensifying in nature and do not allow a woman to do ordinary things, then you should contact a specialist to identify the causes of pain before approaching critical days.
Causes of lower abdominal pain may be different. Only a qualified specialist can prescribe the necessary examinations to find out the exact reasons.
If a week before the menstruation or just before its onset, the lower abdomen is sore and unbearably sore or aching, a visit to the doctor should not be postponed. This is justified by the fact that soreness is a frequent frequent sign that there is something wrong with a woman’s body.
Timely treatment and implementation of recommendations of the gynecologist will prevent possible complications and preserve reproductive function.
This article discusses the most common causes of pain before menstruation.
Algomenorrhea is a common gynecological disorder characterized by menstrual dysfunction and painful menstruation. Algomenorrhea occurs in almost every other woman.
This violation manifests itself periodic pain in the lower abdomen before the onset of menstruation. Pain in the lower abdomen can vary in intensity and duration. A woman has a feeling that the pain covers the intestines. Algomenorrhea in most cases begins one week before the onset of menstruation and can continue throughout the entire menstrual cycle. The nature of pain characteristic of algomenorrhea can be described as cramping, pulling, aching.
There are primary and secondary algomenorrhea:
- Primary algomenorrhea occurs as a result of violation of the outflow of menstrual blood and spasmodic contractions of the uterus. The question of why primary algomenorrhea appears can be answered as follows: abnormal uterus position (for example, its posterior deflection), endocrine diseases, intrauterine contraception (spirals, etc.), increased prostaglandins.
- Secondary algomenorrhea often appears due to inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs or after gynecological operations (including abortions). When secondary algomenorrhea may experience fever, back pain, bloating.
In addition to the painful sensations in the lower abdomen, a woman may experience weakness, nausea, headache, depressive mood. The intensity of pain during algomenorrhea, as a rule, adversely affects the performance, well-being, mood of a woman.
In this regard, it is important to know why algomenorrhea occurs. The causes of this menstrual dysfunction are different. In the vast majority of cases, algomenorrhea is a comorbid disease that occurs in other gynecological diseases such as endometritis, inflammatory processes in the uterus, inflammation of the uterus, infectious diseases of the urogenital area.
Treatment should be aimed at eliminating the underlying cause. After that, it will be possible to reduce the manifestations of algomenorrhea.
Why else there may be pain in the lower abdomen, will be discussed below. If the week before the beginning of the monthly pulls and whines the lower abdomen, this indicates that something is wrong with the body.
The most common causes, in addition to algomenorrhea, as a result of which there is pain before menstruation:
- Insufficient luteal phase due to low progesterone levels.
In this case, the lower abdomen constantly aches, the stomach seems to be bursting with, there may be adhesive processes in the uterus and in the intestines.
- Reduced endorphins.
Before menstruation, the amount of progesterone and estrogen in a woman's body is sharply reduced, resulting in a decrease in the level of endorphins. Such a sharp hormonal jump can not go unnoticed by the body. This is the answer to the question of why before critical days women notice lower abdominal pain, an increase and tenderness of the mammary glands, melancholy or irritability, and in some cases even bowel disorder.
PMS is considered another common reason why pains can occur before the onset of critical days. Contrary to popular belief that premenstrual syndrome affects mainly the emotional state of women, this is not so. PMS affects a much larger area of impact: a woman's appetite increases, abdominal distension and intestinal dysfunction are observed, and the stomach is pulled. A woman may experience headache, air scarcity, high blood pressure, drowsiness.
- Injuries, operations in the pelvic area.
In this case, the stomach pulls, pain in the lower abdomen is characterized by a spasmodic character. There may be cramps in the intestines.
Боли перед месячными могут быть следствием воспалительных процессов в органах малого таза, возникающих в результате переохлаждения или инфекционных заболеваний. Болезненные ощущения локализуются внизу живота. Живот может болеть очень сильно, с резью и спазмами.
In women with irregular menstruation, ovulation may come too late, even before the expected onset of menstruation. Therefore, the lower abdomen can hurt due to late ovulation.
In some cases, women can not correctly determine the localization of pain. It is often difficult to understand whether the stomach or intestines is aching. Therefore, it is important to know the differences in pain before menstruation from pain in the intestines.
Premenstrual pains are characterized by painful, pulling, aching sensations in the abdomen. The lower abdomen all the time or periodically (for all women in different ways) aches.
When the intestine suffers, the pain is mostly spasmodic. With pains in the intestines, the stomach may swell, rumbling, gas formation is noted.
Sometimes women are faced with a situation where the stomach before the start of critical days hurts and there is no menstruation. This delay may be caused by the following reasons:
- violation of the menstrual cycle,
- ovarian dysfunction,
- inflammation of the appendages or uterus,
- hormonal disbalance,
First, you need to determine the presence or absence of pregnancy. If the pregnancy is confirmed, then the lower abdomen can pull due to the increased tone of the uterus. In any case, it will not be superfluous to visit a doctor, as pains in the lower abdomen and the tone of the uterus during pregnancy can turn into a threat of miscarriage.
If there is no pregnancy, then the lower abdomen may ache before menstruation due to ovarian dysfunction, inflammation of the uterus, ovulatory pain in violation of the menstrual cycle.
Before menstruation, the abdomen may ache as a result of blood stagnation or varicose veins in the pelvic area, with cystitis, urolithiasis. Such pains are called acyclic and do not bind them to the menstrual cycle.
Acyclic pains are usually short-lived and irregular. They are often associated with problems not in gynecology, but in other areas. Nevertheless, it is important to distinguish between pain and determine its causes, so that, if necessary, be treated in time.
A few days before menstruation, not only the stomach, but also the lumbar region,
. This is considered normal if the pain disappears when the period begins. This effect is called premenstrual syndrome, and many refer to it as a sad given. However, there are more serious reasons why the stomach hurts before menstruation.
PMS appears due to a surge of hormones occurring during the preparation of the female body for menstruation. After all, he needs to reject the acting layers of the mucous membrane of the uterus, that is, the endometrium.
If pain appears maximum a day before the onset of menstruation and is accompanied for 2 days after the onset, this condition is called dysmenorrhea.
To the premenstrual syndrome, in addition to abdominal pain, sometimes accompanying signs are added:
- often want to cry
- fast fatiguability,
- nagging pain, but slight.
PMS is also manifested by increased appetite, disruptions in the emotional background, abdominal distension, and bowel problems. Headache, drowsiness, high blood pressure may occur.
Feelings are not pronounced, there are related symptoms:
- depressed state
Occurs in the presence of intrauterine device or in the wrong location of the uterus. It may also appear during inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs and after surgery (abortion, etc.).
Quite often, algomenorrhea acts as a symptom of other pathologies of a gynecological nature, for example, inflammation of the uterus and appendages, endometritis, and diseases of the urogenital apparatus.
Adnexitis, inflammation of the appendages and other gynecological pathologies. In this case, the pain in the abdomen has a sharp character, the body temperature rises, the cycle is disturbed, and during sexual intercourse the woman experiences a strong feeling of discomfort. This leads to hypothermia, infection with bacteria such as chlamydia, gonococcus.
Endometriosis, that is, excessive growth of the epithelium. The pain is manifested not only in the abdomen. The back, legs also hurts. Feelings are progressive in nature, while blood discharge is very abundant.
Genitourinary infection characterized, in addition to abdominal pain, such symptoms:
- high body temperature,
- burning, itching in the genitals,
- unusual discharge.
It can be an infection with bacteria such as herpes, gonorrhea, mycoplasmosis, trichomoniasis, etc.
Myoma is also the cause of pain in the abdomen before menstruation. Related symptoms: profusion of blood discharge, violation of the schedule (delay or, on the contrary, early menstruation).
For spasmodic pains, the cause may be
intestinal problems . Additionally, you may receive:
Low endorphins causes not only pain in the lower abdomen, but also in the chest. This happens because of hormonal imbalance, which is quite natural before menstruation.
Appendicitis also accompanied by abdominal pain. Additional features:
- nausea and vomiting,
- temperature rise.
The pain can be localized in one place or wander around the entire area of the abdomen. About other causes of abdominal pain - read here.
If you are accompanied by persistent and severe abdominal pain, you are uncomfortable in any position, you can not stand, lie, sit - contact your gynecologist immediately! Perhaps you are developing one of the above pathologies. And such signs may indicate ectopic pregnancy.
Be sure to visit the doctor in the event that the pain does not pass on their own. To get rid of it you have to take strong painkillers. If you do not pay attention to these symptoms, it can lead to the development of serious pathological abnormalities, including infertility and death.
There is also such that pain in the lower abdomen is, and menstruation does not occur. At the same time, the pains are pulling in nature, they are no different from the sensations that accompany a woman every month. And the reasons may be the following:
- Ovulatory pain syndrome refers to the most innocent reason. Appears for 10-15 days before the estimated time of menstruation. They are localized mainly on one side of the abdomen. This is due to the location of the egg. Why do ovulation pains occur? It turns out that during this period the follicle is broken, as a result of which minor bleeding opens, irritating the abdominal wall. It is absolutely not dangerous, as it is a feature of the female body.
- Pregnancy. During pregnancy in the first trimester in the uterus of a woman the tone increases. This is an unusual condition, so this process is manifested by pain, as during menstruation. In this case, you need to immediately contact a gynecologist, as this may indicate spontaneous abortion or ectopic pregnancy. In the second case, the pain syndrome radiates to the rectum. A woman feels sick, vomiting begins, dizzy, up to loss of consciousness. You need to be very careful, as internal bleeding can open.
- The acyclic pains last for a long time, but without cramps and the onset of menstruation. Arise on the background varicose veins in the pelvic organs, with congestion, adhesions and endometriosis. Other causes of acyclic pain syndrome: osteoarthritis, urolithiasis, cystitis, uterine myoma, etc.
Treatment: how to remove cramps
To find out the cause of pain, you need to contact a gynecologist, who will prescribe an ultrasound examination of the pelvic organs. And if necessary - and other internal organs. Be sure to pass general urine and blood tests. In some cases, other hardware diagnostic methods can be assigned:
Treatment is always determined after a thorough examination and identifying the causes of pain before menstruation. Therapy is prescribed depending on the etiology, features of the disease and the woman's body. If the cause is an inflammatory process in the uterus, then the appropriate treatment is prescribed.
If there is no serious cause for concern, but pain is present, drug therapy is applied, including the use of drugs from different groups.
- "Papaverine" in the form of tablets and rectal suppositories. Contraindications: liver failure, heart problems, glaucoma.
- "No-shpa" is based on Drotaverinum, is issued in the form of tablets. Contraindications: lactation, lactose intolerance, heart disease, kidney, liver. Analogs: "Unispaz", "Spakovin."
- "Halidor" consists of a benziklan, has an additional property - sedative.
- "Buscopan" has the active substance butin bromide hyoscine. It is produced in tablet form and in the form of rectal suppositories.
- Regular "Paracetamol" in the form of tablets, suppositories, suspensions. Contraindications: diseases of the kidneys and liver, alcohol intoxication. He also has analogues: Acetaminophen, Lupocet, Panadol, Febritset, etc.
- "Ibuprofen": tablets, rectal suppositories, capsules, suspension. Contraindications: asthma, ulcerative manifestations in the digestive tract, kidney and liver pathologies. Analogs: "Ibuklin", "Brustan", "Hayrumat", "Next", "Sedalgin", etc.
- "Diclofenac" in the form of candles, tablets and capsules. Contraindications: ulcers and inflammation of the gastrointestinal tract, asthma. Similar drugs: "Naklofen", "Voltaren", "Rapten", "Diklovit", "Sanfinak", "Revmavek."
- Naproxen tablets can be taken no more than twice a day. Contraindications: ulcers, lactation, asthma. Analogs: “Pronaksen”, “Naproxen”, “Bonifen”, “Apronax”.
- Ketoprofen tablets and capsules. Contraindications: gastrointestinal ulcers, hemophilia, diseases of the liver and kidneys. Analogs: Flamax, Ketonal, Dexalgin.
- Charging tightens the muscular system of the pelvic organs. Therefore, frequent exercises, and especially in the period of PMS, contribute to the prevention of pain.
- Remove the pain syndrome will help a hot water bottle on the abdomen or back.
- Massage in the lumbar region, back, abdomen and legs.
- Let's rest your body, sleep more.
- Use a lot of vitamins just before the onset of menstruation.
- Take a hot bath, relax. You can add essential oils and decoctions of herbs to water.
- If you are experiencing pain, do not use hygienic tampons, give preference to gaskets.
- Try the acupuncture method. To do this, you need to visit a certified specialist. When exposed to certain points with the thinnest needles, you can get rid of abdominal pains before menstruation.
Remove pain in the abdomen before menstruation, you can use simple gymnastics. The video presents a set of exercises that will help get rid of pain:
- Herbal decoction: shepherd's purse, knotweed, white mistletoe, valerian root. Take all components in equal proportions. For 1 cup of boiling water enough 1 tablespoon of the collection. To use twice a day on 200 ml.
- Take in the same ratio the root of the silverweed, yarrow, shepherd's bag (25 grams). Add oak bark (10 g). Fill with boiling water (200 ml). Drink twice a day.
- Tincture. In the ratio of 1: 2: 1 take the root of valerian, chamomile flowers and mint leaves. Brew and insist for half an hour. Take three times a day for 2 tbsp. spoons, always after meals.
- Buy in a pharmacy calendula tincture, mix it with water according to the prescription specified in the instructions. Use for douching.
- Wild strawberries in the form of dry leaves. At 1 tbsp. l Take 400 ml of water. Insist 7-8 hours. Drink 0.5 cups a day.
- Crush hop cones. At 2 tbsp. l herbs take 2 cups boiling water. Pour the cones in a thermos, cover with water. Insist 2-3 hours. Be sure to strain. Drink once a day in the evening 0.5 cups.
- It helps the grass elecampane. It is considered universal and effective. It is necessary to take the root part in the amount of 1 tbsp. l Pour 300 ml of boiling water and boil on low heat for 15 minutes. Then leave to infuse for 4 hours. Drink 1 tbsp. l three times a day.
Rest with benefits, lead an active lifestyle, play sports, yoga, fitness, gymnastics and especially swimming. But do not overload yourself physically.
If you have not yet given birth, in no case do not use the intrauterine device as a contraceptive. This causes not only pain in the abdomen before menstruation, but also irreversible processes in the pelvic organs.
Take enough time to rest and sleep. Avoid stressful situations, spend more time outdoors. Get rid of existing diseases in a timely manner.
Eat right. Choose fresh fruits and vegetables to saturate the body with nutrients and vitamins.
Abdominal pain before menstruation is most often simply a part of premenstrual syndrome. To make it easier, it is enough to be more often in the fresh air, to eat right and moderately physically load yourself. But if additional symptoms appear, it is better to be examined in order to detect the disease in time.