Critical days in the life of every woman play a special role. However, the majority of the fair sex experience discomfort and discomfort during this period. Doctors advise to avoid serious events at this time. But is it possible to treat a tooth during menstruation? The answer to this question in more detail in this article.
Features of the body during menstruation
As you know, if a woman has a stable, menstrual cycle without fail, this is a very good indicator. But not everyone in this period feels great. Usually menstruation is accompanied by abdominal pain, depressed state. Some experience terrible headaches accompanied by nausea and even vomiting.
During menstruation, immunity falls, which can adversely affect overall health. Often during this period, women are prone to colds and viral diseases.
In addition, any manipulation, and even more such painful as dental treatment, can cause resentment in girls and lead to stress. Therefore, it is good to think about whether to visit the dentist during menstruation.
Hormonal surge, which is accompanied by menstruation, leads to weakness and indisposition. It was not for nothing that in Soviet times women were allowed to take two or three days a month at their own expense and not attend work. There are girls who very hard endure this period and are saved only by strong painkillers.
Dental treatment during menstruation
Toothache usually overtakes a person quite unexpectedly. It is very difficult to get rid of it, not all medicines help. Therefore, an urgent visit to the dentist is sometimes inevitable. But what if this happened during menstruation? Experts in this matter are not categorical. If the pain has become intolerable, and on examination, the dentist found, for example, pulpitis, periodontitis or abscess, which do not tolerate delay, then it is imperative to treat it.
In other cases, it is not recommended to resort to serious surgical procedures.
Now we have figured out whether it is possible to treat a tooth during menstruation. However, remember that poor blood clotting during this period can adversely affect treatment. Complicated surgical procedures can cause complications. The body facilitates the process of blood release during menstruation, and therefore, when the gum is cut, it will coagulate much longer.
If it becomes necessary to put a filling in case of simple caries, then in such a situation, dental treatment and menstruation are compatible. It is better to prevent the inflammation process in time than to “start up” because of the critical days.
Often, getting a ticket to state dentistry is not easy. And to calculate the day when there will be no menstruation is not always possible. In this case, consult your doctor before starting treatment, honestly tell me about your current condition.
When is removal inevitable?
There are situations when extreme dental measures are indispensable. For example, an inflamed wisdom tooth that cannot be cured should be removed as quickly as possible.
What to do if you have menstruation at this time? Of course, the first thing to run to the doctor, telling at the same time that you have menstruation. If the situation allows, the doctor will prescribe the necessary medicines, which will relieve pain and postpone the removal process for several days. But there are moments when you can not wait in any case:
- A purulent abscess began, accompanied by a so-called flux.
- There is a place to be running peridontitis, besides inflamed.
- A tooth broke, and its fragment severely injures the oral mucosa.
- A diseased tooth is a focus of infection with osteomelitis, as well as purulent sinusitis and other related complications.
These situations in which urgent removal is indicated are the most common. In all other cases, the doctor decides individually with each patient whether it is possible to extract a tooth during menstruation.
Information about whether it is possible to treat a tooth during menstruation will be incomplete, if not to say about the consequences to which it may lead. Unfortunately, not for everyone this procedure can end safely.
As a rule, any patient asks for local anesthesia before treatment. This facilitates the treatment process for both the doctor and the patient. But do not forget that during menstruation, girls very often take potent pain pills to reduce discomfort. Anesthesia, coupled with these drugs can cause an unpredictable reaction from the body.
In addition, the reduced ability of blood to clot during menstruation can cause severe bleeding. As a rule, after the removal of the tooth, the wound delays in 15-20 minutes. During menstruation, this time can be doubled. Double blood loss can lead to dizziness, weakness and nausea.
Fallen immunity does not cope well with the possible penetration of bacteria. An open wound infected with dangerous germs may fester. In this case, re-surgical intervention is inevitable.
During menstruation, the pain threshold in women is significantly reduced. Therefore, everything else will add strong discomfort at the tooth extraction site.
There are often cases where it is not possible to go to the doctor this minute. For example, if a toothache is taken by surprise at night. For this situation, suitable folk methods to alleviate the symptoms:
- Propolis. Probably one of the most popular methods. Known for its antiseptic properties, propolis, as it were, “seals” small holes in the teeth and disinfects the oral cavity. An alcohol solution that can be applied to the tooth is also suitable.
- Broths of chamomile, oak bark. These herbs have astringent properties, as well as relieve inflammation and kill germs.
- Salt and soda solution. Enough in a glass of warm water, add one teaspoon of both, carefully stir and rinse your mouth. This method relieves pain for a while.
Now we know whether it is possible to treat a tooth during menstruation. However, you must follow some tips before you go to the dentist. Firstly, if you feel unwell, and going to the doctor is not urgent, but planned, it is better to postpone it for several days.
Second, measure your blood pressure before visiting the dentist. A low will indicate that you risk losing consciousness if the treatment is too painful.
Third, do not try to endure severe pain. It is better to contact a specialist who decides whether to start urgent treatment or you can wait.
In this article, we found out whether it is possible to treat a tooth during menstruation. However, all our advice is only advisory. In case of any pain, consult a doctor immediately. Do not try to cure yourself. Moreover, toothache is considered one of the most difficult to bear. Do not be ill!
Critical days are so critical ...
Because of the hormonal changes in a woman's state of health often worsens, sensitivity increases, and immunity decreases. Often, critical days are accompanied by painful sensations.
In connection with a lot of discomforting sensations, girls and older women are interested in whether it is possible to treat teeth during painful periods, or whether it is worthwhile to postpone a visit to the dentist. Doctors do not recommend treating the teeth during this period, but it is impossible to give a definite answer to this question, since several factors affect the possibility or impossibility of the therapy process:
- planned or unscheduled treatment (acute pain),
- the patient's well-being,
- features of the flow of menstruation (how do they affect the general condition of the body),
- type of procedure
- body reactions to the drugs used and so on.
What are the risks?
Dentists during individual procedures may ask the woman about the menstrual cycle. The fact is that the treatment and removal of teeth during menstruation can carry such risks:
- Due to a decrease in immunity, the risk of developing infectious diseases and complications such as festering gums increases.
- During menstruation, blood clotting is reduced (a normal physiological phenomenon), which can lead to severe bleeding when removing or cutting soft tissue.
- Some women change the sensitivity and susceptibility of the body. Hypersensitivity can cause severe pain during dental treatment. Sometimes painkillers are weak during menstruation.
- Due to hormonal changes, foreign matter rejection may occur. In other words, the seal can quickly fall out. In addition, the photopolymer filling can change its color.
When should treatment not be postponed?
Despite the possible risks, sometimes a visit to the dentist should not be postponed. Seek medical attention if you need:
- strong and acute toothache,
- suppuration inside the tooth or gum,
- swelling of soft tissue
- severe bleeding gums,
- suspected flux,
- appearance of cysts.
In addition, you should not refuse a trip to the clinic, if you got the coupon with great difficulty or a business trip, a long trip or other events that may impede your visit to the doctor are planned in a few days.
Be sure to inform the doctor before starting the procedure about your condition so that he can choose the right medications.
In some cases, they do not complete the treatment, but only eliminate the unpleasant symptoms and postpone the solution for several days. For example, in case of acute pain or inflammation, a doctor can carry out professional cleaning, apply medicine and put a temporary filling, and complete treatment (cleaning of canals, removal of nerves and other complex events) can be carried out upon completion of menstruation.
Is it possible with monthly ...
Various dental procedures differ in features, so some of them during menstruation can be performed without risk to health, while others should be abandoned.
So, is it permissible:
- Teeth filling. In most cases, the period of menstruation is not a contraindication in order to fill
teeth and treat tooth decay, especially if the bone tissue is not damaged much. During critical days, sensitivity may increase, so you should ask the doctor to do anesthesia.
- Do x-ray. Often, an x-ray is taken to determine the area of damage. The procedure is not dangerous during the menstrual period, so you can do it without fear for health. The outbreak of waves is short-term, therefore, it has no effect on other organs and systems of the body.
- Spend prosthetics. The process of prosthetics consists of several stages. During special days it is not necessary to install pins, because due to failures in the hormonal background and a large production of prostaglandins, foreign body rejection may occur, and then the preparatory measures will be in vain. In this case, the procedure is better for several days to postpone. All other procedures (preparation, fitting, and so on) can be carried out during critical days.
- Remove teeth. Surgery is not recommended during menstruation. If possible, the extraction of the tooth should be postponed because bleeding may occur due to reduced blood clotting. In addition, a blood clot in the well is formed much longer, which can lead to infection penetration into the wound. If surgery is required in an emergency and it cannot be postponed, it is important to warn the doctor about your particular situation and strictly follow his recommendations. It is especially dangerous to carry out the removal on the first day of menstruation.
- Professional cleaning. To clean the teeth during menstruation is not prohibited, as damage to the soft tissues is excluded. And the procedure itself is painless.
Most of the patients say that menstruation does not affect the conduct of dental procedures, but there are also such reviews that confirm that it is better to postpone a visit to the clinic.
During critical days I had a tooth removed with a cyst. Everything went as usual. No complications and unpleasant consequences. In addition, she repeatedly treated her teeth during the CD without any problems.
Once a tooth extraction coincided with menstruation. The doctor could not stop the bleeding for a long time. And he and I were terribly frightened. I did not warn about critical days and I think I made a big mistake.
Required safety rules
If you still decide to treat (remove) teeth during menstruation or you have no choice, follow a few simple rules to minimize possible risks:
- stop smoking before the procedure, do not drink alcohol,
- do not take painkillers yourself, if not necessary
- if the toothache was strong and you drank analgesic drugs, be sure to tell your doctor,
- Do not eat or drink plenty of water before going to the dentist to avoid gag reflex,
- after dental procedures, especially in the case of extraction, avoid hypothermia and overheating, as this can cause bleeding.
- do not engage in physical activity and sports
- do not visit the baths and saunas, do not take a hot shower and bath,
- follow all doctor's recommendations regarding oral cavity care,
- do not touch the tongue of the extracted tooth, do not try to remove food particles with a toothpick.
After the removal of the tooth is better not to rush home, and stay some time in the clinic until a clot forms.
Avoid nervous and physical overstrain, as well as any factors that may lead to an increase in pressure and bleeding.
Useful tips for girls how to survive these days:
How to remove a toothache at home
If you decide to postpone a visit to the dentist, then you can get rid of the toothache, which arose against the background of menstruation, with any anesthetic that is available in the first-aid kit. Before taking, read the instructions and make sure that you have no contraindications.
You can also use folk remedies:
- Most commonly used soda solution. For a glass of warm boiled water you need to take a teaspoon of soda. Can add
the same amount of salt. Stir until dissolved. Rinse a sick tooth every 2 hours until the pain subsides.
- Well eliminate pain and medicinal herbs decoctions. Suitable chamomile, calendula, sage, St. John's wort. A tablespoon of herbs should be poured with a glass of boiling water and let it brew. When the infusion is warm, strain and use to rinse.
- In the fight against pain will help and Essential Oil of Fir, Clove. Saturate a small piece of cotton wool and attach it to the aching tooth.
- Decoction of calamus root also used for rinsing. Mix a tablespoon of the root with a glass of water and hold the mixture for a few minutes in a water bath, and then let it brew. Strain.
Thus, periods are not a direct contraindication for dental treatment, but if possible, a visit to the doctor should be postponed, especially if a tooth extraction or pin installation is planned.
Valid procedures on critical days
Deciding whether to postpone a visit to the doctor or not can only the girl herself, focusing on the state of health and changes in her body. It makes sense to postpone the procedure until normalization of well-being, if the following pronounced signs of deterioration are present:
- weakness, lethargy,
- painful pains
If the patient does not experience the strong influence of menstruation, you can not tolerate the discomfort caused by a sick tooth. Valid methodswhich are allowed during critical days include:
- x-ray and remineralization of enamel,
- professional hygiene.
Teeth not recommended, and carry out the elimination of complicated caries. The reasons for these restrictions will be discussed in more detail below.
Is it possible to treat teeth during menstruation
Modern dentistry has made great strides forward, and therefore dentists have a wide range of gentle tactics selected individually for each individual patient. Before you invite the girl to sit in the dental chair, specialist collects a full history. It is important not to be shy and warn the doctor about the bottom of the menstrual cycle. A dentist will offer a woman the best solution to her problem.
Treatment of caries (especially superficial and average) during the menstrual period not contraindicated. The procedure is almost painless and has no complications, provided that it is performed by a qualified specialist. The seal is installed on the first visit, because the day of the cycle and hormonal fluctuations in the body are not able to affect the outcome of treatment.
During the period of menstruation, the patient may increase sensitivity and decrease the pain threshold, therefore it is advisable to use anesthesia when preparing a deep carious cavity. The type of means and dosage are discussed with the patient in advance.
This is a complex technique for replacing lost teeth, carried out in several stages. During menstruation, the following are permissible:
- training oral cavity to prosthetics,
- taking impressions from alginate masses,
- fitting and correction models that
- installation of the finished prosthesis.
Screw-in pin in the bone tissue of the jaw dentists recommend to carry on a more suitable date after the end of the month. This is explained by the fact that during menstruation the female the body can reject a foreign body due to the reduction of immune forces and slowing the healing process of tissues.
This procedure is safe and not prohibited during critical days. Moreover, for successful treatment of caries or in the process of preparing for prosthetics, the use of an x-ray device is necessary to avoid possible mistakes in treatment that may in the future affect the health of the woman. The opinion that X-rays negatively affect the endocrine system of the girl and provoke the occurrence of failures or infertility is fundamentally wrong. The procedure is carried out quickly, the lens is sent to a specific area on the face, and the body, including the pelvic area, is covered with a special lead apron.
The procedure is the removal of dental deposits using a sandblaster (“active substances” of which are soda and water) or ultrasonic technology. It takes about 30-40 minutes, is considered absolutely painless and does not require the use of anesthetics. None of the methods of professional hygiene does not cause damage to the soft tissues of the oral cavity, does not bring pain and discomfort, and therefore they are completely permissible to hold at any time regardless of the date of the menstrual cycle.
Remineralization of teeth
This is a prophylactic procedure used to compensate for the deficiency of certain substances in tooth enamel (calcium, fluorine, phosphorus), its compaction (therefore, increase resistance to caries) and consists in coating with special gels, solutions and pastes with a high concentration of the trace elements. To consolidate the result, several manipulations are required at short time intervals. The menstrual period does not affect the process. remineralization. Moreover, skipping the next procedure can reduce the therapeutic effect of previous visits.
Tooth extraction during menstruation
During menstruation it is undesirable to carry out various surgical interventionswhich include tooth extraction. Doctors attribute this to the reduced rate of blood clotting these days, as well as the slower formation of a clot in the hole, which is necessary for the rapid healing of the wound. Nevertheless, there are special indications for which you should not postpone surgical manipulation:
- the tooth was broken and now it injures the mucous
- the beginning of an acute purulent process (flux),
- the tooth is a focus of infection in osteomyelitis, periostitis and other dangerous pathologies.
In these cases, an emergency removal is indicated. After the operation, the patient should observe the following recommendations:
- Do not immediately leave the clinic. Better for half an hour to be under the supervision of a dentist who will trace whether a blood clot has formed.
- On arrival home is worth rest a few hourswithout burdening yourself with affairs.
- You can take only those drugs (painkillers and antibiotics), which were issued by a specialist.
In case of complications (fever, bleeding, nausea, weakness), the patient should immediately contact the doctor.
Is it possible to use anesthesia during menstruation?
There are no contraindications. to the use of anesthetics during the menstrual period. It is psychologically easier for many patients to sit in the chair, being sure that the anesthetic drug will help them to undergo a dental procedure. Nevertheless, one should not forget that during critical days the sensitivity of the organism to anesthesia may slightly decrease, and therefore, minor pain may occur.
Getting rid of toothache at home
If such a disease has found a woman at the most inopportune moment, you can try to turn to traditional medicine:
- decoction of sage, chamomile, oak bark has antiseptic and analgesic properties,
- warm saline disinfects the oral cavity and contributes to the outflow of exudate
- a few drops of valerian tincture applied to the area of inflammationwill help to muffle the discomfort.
During menstruation, it is quite possible to perform basic dental procedures (with the exception of the extraction of a tooth and the installation of pins during prosthetics). If it is not possible to transfer such procedures, they should be trusted only to qualified specialists in a modern clinic with good equipment.
Why visit the dentist?
Such a natural process, like menstruation, is capable of disrupting the traditional routine of a number of dental procedures. Features of treatment during menstruation due to changes in the female body.
This is what happens to the patient these days:
- coagulability of blood decreases: a measure necessary for the uterus to be completely cleared of stagnant clots that can later cause inflammation,
- general weakness, reduction of pain threshold, vulnerability to infections,
- inadequate body response to medications,
- According to unofficial observations of dentists, changes in hormonal levels affect the structure of dental tissue, which is why the guarantee of successful filling is not significant, but it is still decreasing.
Due to the worsening of blood coagulability, it makes sense to postpone surgeries for several days, provided that we are not talking about suppurations and other critical situations that require immediate medical intervention.
During non-surgical treatment, microtraumas of the gums and mucous membranes occur, or the procedure itself requires making cuts. Poor blood clotting can be an unpleasant surprise for both the patient and the doctor. It is for this reason that it is important for the dentist to know in advance about the condition of the woman and to prepare in advance the means to increase blood clotting.
Menstrual day is not the only thing that should be reported to the dentist. The quality of blood clotting is affected by diabetes. In order to avoid unforeseen situations, it is necessary to warn about the presence of cardiovascular diseases and allergic reactions.
Critical days often accompany a woman with acute sensitivity to many external factors. Toothache is no exception. The question arises: how to quickly relieve toothache at home? There are a lot of activities to help cope with this problem.
On the various methods of application and wearing braces during pregnancy, read this link.
About the unpleasant smell of acetone in the mouth, see here.
Is it possible to fill teeth during menstruation
Traditional medical school argues that in the vast majority of cases menstruation is not a contraindication to dental filling. Dental tissue is formed slowly enough to have time to fall under the influence of hormonal changes that occur in the female body for 3-5 notorious days. When treating surface caries carried out in one session, the affected areas are cleaned. Hormonal and enzymatic changes in the composition of the blood do not affect the adhesion of the filling to hard tissues and do not provoke the rejection of the filling material.
There are only a number of nuances that raise doubts:
- caries, stepped over second degree,
- need for anesthesia
- the need for antibiotics,
- risk of spreading infection
- complex multi-stage therapy.
Changes in the female body during menstruation
There is an opinion that during a period of time some other creature hatch from a woman for several days. The processes in her body change dramatically, hormones are distorted beyond recognition, immunity falls, her mood deteriorates, sulfuric acid flows through blood vessels, claws, poisonous fangs and spikes begin to grow along the ridge. It is because of this that many things that are quite possible in the intermenstrual period are absolutely unacceptable during menstruation. Medical manipulations are almost deadly, and can, if they don’t kill a lady, then they can spoil her quality life with a guarantee.
All this is rubbish! A woman during menstruation is the same as without her, with some not very significant features. Here is what happens in her body during this period:
- progesterone and estrogen levels go down,
- blood coagulability increases,
- uterine contractility increases,
- the cervix is revealed.
At the same time, for many women, the general condition may slightly change:
- there are spasmodic pains in the lower abdomen,
- due to pain, mood worsens, woman becomes irritable,
- possible nausea (very rarely - vomiting).
As you can see - no poisonous teeth and acid instead of blood. So is it possible to treat teeth during menstruation with or without anesthesia?
We destroy myths about dental treatment during menstruation
The first myth to be tackled is tales of reduced blood clotting. For some reason, it is believed that the body specifically reduces it in order for the uterus to quickly get rid of the blood and the functional layer of the endometrium (the very lumps that come out during menstruation). But after all, the very bleeding itself is not a menstruation accelerator, nor is it a moderator. This is a consequence of the rejection of the functional layer, during which the spiral arteries rupture. The stronger the contraction of the uterus, the faster the epithelium breaks off, the more profuse the bleeding.
And now attention! Any bleeding activates the blood coagulation system. It would be idiotic on the part of the body when bleeding to block the only way to stop it. If it were so, women would simply not be left, they would simply become extinct. And so nothing, live and delight men with its beauty. Or enrage their frills.
The second myth - reduced immunity. It is not clear where he came from; there is no connection between changes in sex hormone levels and immunity. Not a single clever scientific book, not a single scientist will confirm this thesis, but the authors of articles on the Internet do not get tired of reminding that a woman develops a light version of AIDS during her period. Of course, no study confirms that women during menstruation are more susceptible to infections and inflammations.
The third myth is the perception of pain. Again, it is considered from scratch that a woman in these days perceives pain much more acutely. In other words, she has a pain in the lower abdomen, which means that if she is still sick somewhere, then hoo hoo! To tremble at the knees, to the gnashing of teeth, to tears. Here are just a bunch of other conditions in which there is also pain, a long, strong. And if these people treat their teeth, they do not perceive this pain more acutely. In the same way in women - yes, pain is exhausting, yes, a woman suffers, but what is the reason for dental treatment? Moreover, there is anesthesia.
Is it possible to resect a tooth during menstruation? Elena, 30 years old
Elena, you can. During tooth resection, all manipulations are carried out exclusively in the oral cavity, which is in no way connected with the reproductive organs. This procedure is not associated with any bleeding, nor with a high level of pain (especially when using anesthetics), so you can safely carry it out on any day of the cycle.
What can be done with teeth during menstruation
Let's start with the fact that you can do everything with your teeth - even clean, even remove, even make them X-ray, or even fold them on a shelf. Menstruation does not affect the teeth, so any manipulation is quite acceptable and safe.
We list the main procedures associated with dental treatment.
- Sealing. Usually this procedure is performed without anesthesia, and all the accompanying manipulations, though unpleasant, are little or no pain at all. However, injections of local anesthetics are often used for filling, as with tooth decay, for example, there is always pain. Yes, and cleaning the channels with the removal of the nerve - the procedure is also unpleasant. But in any case, menstruation does not affect either the level of pain, or the body's susceptibility to pain medications, or the quality of adhesion of the filling material to the tooth.
- Prosthetics Some low-scientific sources state that in case of implantation, it is better to transfer the manipulation to the intermenstrual period. This thesis is a consequence of the erroneous view that blood clotting is reduced and bleeding can begin. Above, we have already said that during the menstrual blood coagulates faster, so that even the use of pins will not lead to any massive blood loss. The same applies to traditional crowns and bridges.
- Cleaning tartar. This procedure carries no risks at all. The use of outdated chemical-mechanical methods, as well as ultrasonic cleaning affects only the stone itself and only slightly - enamel. No changes in the body play a role in this. The procedure is absolutely safe and permissible on any day of the menstrual cycle as well as whitening.
- Removal of a tooth. Discussing whether it is possible to remove teeth during menstruation, the Internet “experts” constantly talk about bleeding, which becomes so strong that ... (the description of hemorrhagic shock goes further, loss of consciousness, some even mention death). In fact, there will be no significant increase in bleeding. And if it does, then it will be caused not by menstruation at all, but, for example, taking aspirin as an anesthetic (this drug reduces blood clotting). So you can remove the teeth, and in some situations - even need to (for example, a wisdom tooth, which is very difficult and unprofitable to treat).
- Other procedures - the answer is one: yes, you can. No monthly do not affect the condition of the teeth or the patient's condition during their treatment.
There is perhaps the only nuance that binds the monthly and teeth. Women experiencing severe pain during menstruation may refuse to go to the dentist, as some dentist procedures can be painful. No one wants to experience pain, and then a little more pain. This, of course, is not about emergency situations, such as flux or pulpitis - in this case, anyone will probably run to the dentist, forgetting about his sensations in the abdomen. But even in this case, menstruation is only an unpleasant additional condition, but not a contraindication. So treat for health, and even better - do not get sick.
Tell me why you can not extract teeth during menstruation? Raisa, 24 years old
Raisa, you can remove the teeth, you can fill them and carry out other manipulations with the teeth - menstruation does not have any influence on the possibility of carrying out dental procedures. Heal without fear.
Features of the flow of menstruation
The period of critical days is a natural process in the female body, which is a signal of the ability to continue the race. However, this is an unusual period, carrying with it a number of features:
- reduction of blood clotting,
- drop in blood pressure
- weakening of the immunity and defense mechanisms of the body,
- increased risk of tissue infection.
And this is not a complete list. It is worth adding hormonal surges and the associated mood swings. As well as regular pain. Because of this list, and have to be cautious when conducting medical procedures. Including, and dental.
Removing a tooth during menstruation from a simple and quick dental procedure can turn into a real operation with complications: bleeding, infection, non-standard response to anesthesia, and much more. A simple filling will end with the rejection of artificial materials. This does not always happen, and in the most general case, it is rather an exception. But even one chance in a thousand with such negative consequences is worth paying attention to.
What kind of manipulations at the dentist can be performed on menstruation days
But not everything is so bad, and dental treatment during menstruation is not a total taboo. Some procedures are perfectly acceptable if the woman feels satisfactory. These include:
- Teeth cleaning. This is not so much a medical procedure (although it must be performed by a professional dentist), as a cosmetic one. All the above problems will not affect its implementation.
- X-ray of a tooth or jaw. This is a preparatory process and also does not require operable intervention or additional loads.
- Installation of prefabricated clamps. Откладывать манипуляции на этом этапе лечения уже не имеет смысла, да и повреждений они принести не должны.
- Подтачивание зуба. This is a medical operation, but in this case, the integrity of the tissues and the abundant amount of drugs will not be required. So, it is admissible.
Planned events to transfer them because of the monthly is not worth it. It is better to just try to set a date so that these processes do not intersect, in order to avoid unnecessary discomfort.
A visit to the dentist is possible and necessary if you suddenly feel pain or your gums begin to bleed. Remember that it is important to inform the dentist about your condition. Depending on him, the doctor will decide whether to remove the tooth during menstruation in this particular case. Or is it still better to do with temporary measures and wait for the completion of this stage of the cycle.
What procedures are best avoided on menstruation days
There are also a number of manipulations, which are better postponed if they coincided with critical days. These are manipulations that require incisions or other damage to the integrity of the tissues, as well as procedures that require abundant anesthesia.
In the first place in this list will be exactly the removal of teeth. Why can not remove the teeth during the course of menstruation? All because of the same features of the period. The fact is that a slight wound, which is obtained as a result, bleeds slightly.
Usually, the bleeding stops after five to ten minutes. But in the period of menstruation, blood clotting is much worse. And it can all end in a very unpleasant, profuse bleeding. The probability is quite low. But still it is better not to risk it. Due to low immunity, the probability of infection is high. And this is not a rare problem. Heal the wound will be much longer than usual.
But there are exceptions in every rule. So, wisdom teeth often have to vomit. They can torment with strong painful sensations from which no means can help. Dentists, in some cases, manage to transfer the action for several days - so that the pulled out tooth does not “put” you in the hospital and it was not necessary to pull it out under full anesthesia.
And also some of the prosthetic steps are not recommended. Installing implants on critical days is fraught with rejection and poor survival. But on the adjustment, undermining, taking impressions and other related procedures, you can go without fear.
But to seal the teeth can be almost without fear. The only exception is a specific reaction to the anesthetics that will be used for pain relief. This is a rather problematic point, because the test for reaction often does not intersect with the menstrual cycle. But the sealing itself - maybe. And then the result is difficult to predict.
When going to the dentist can not be avoided
Despite the warnings described above, there are problems that do not suffer delay. Seek medical attention immediately if present:
- acute toothache
- flux or other inflammatory process
- swelling of the soft tissues in the mouth,
- bleeding from the gums.
Regardless of what period of menstruation you are experiencing. Indeed, in many respects the question whether teeth can be treated or removed during the beginning of menstruation depends on the response of the doctor who will conduct the procedure. After all, the diagnosis is made by him.
It may happen that the problem with which you are faced does not tolerate delay, but in this situation simply requires more thorough preparation.
Naturally, it is necessary to prepare for the trip to the dental clinic with all diligence. Dentists recommend listening to this list with each visit to the doctor:
- Reduce the amount of consumed food and water before going directly to the doctor.
- Stop drinking and smoking at least a day.
- Do not drink painkillers without first consulting a doctor.
- Rinse the mouth and throat.
- After operations, try to avoid overcooling and overheating.
It is important to strictly follow all the recommendations of the doctor for oral care. Any deviations can lead to unpleasant consequences.
If after the visit to the dentist is over, you feel that you feel nauseous, the temperature rises, vomiting begins, or any other clearly unhealthy symptoms - immediately call the dentist or the doctor to whom you referred.
All these sensations can signal an infection in the body, therefore, such changes in health should be reported as soon as possible.
It is difficult to confidently recommend or not recommend a trip to the dentist during menstruation. Even if the process does not require surgery and special preparations, the visit to the dentist itself is stressful for many. To expose yourself or not to him in an already not easy period, your business.
Situations and causes are different and in the vastness of this site you have already found answers to some of the questions. However, no feedback or a stream of comments on the network can diagnose you, remove or install a seal, or cure a bad tooth. Contact a professional and let him do his job. Sign up for a consultation, and later, when you find out how serious the problem is and how much is needed to fix it, you can move on.
It is especially important that if you experience any problems, you must go to the hospital and do not forget to mention menstruation (as well as any other diseases that may affect the course of treatment). This will help to choose the right treatment and not harm you with various manipulations.
What happens in the body during menstruation?
During the period of menstruation, the woman's body becomes very sensitive, immunity decreases. It has been scientifically proven that during menstruation the composition of the blood changes and the diameter of the vessels slightly increases, which helps clean the uterus. Typically, critical days are accompanied by the following symptoms:
- lower abdominal pain,
- sometimes nausea and vomiting
- general weakness of the body.
Any medical manipulations during this period can lead to the appearance of bad mood and stress in a woman. In addition, the pain is perceived much sharper, so you should carefully weigh all the arguments before going to the dentist during menstruation.
In what cases is dental treatment during menstruation?
Many women are interested in the question of whether it is possible to treat teeth during menstruation, because diseases do not wait for an opportunity, but arise spontaneously, requiring an urgent solution to the problem. No doctor will say that during menstruation can not be treated. There are procedures that it does not hurt:
Sealing. In case of caries 1 or 2 degrees, drainage or complicated therapy is not required, and in some cases it is not even necessary to use anesthesia. Critical days do not adversely affect the quality of adhesion of the filling material and tooth.
- Prosthetics This is a multi-step procedure that requires multiple visits to the doctor. During menstruation, you can prepare the oral cavity, install the crown, but the mounting pin is better to transfer to another period of the cycle.
- Hardware cleaning and remineralization. Procedures do not cause discomfort, therefore, are allowed during menstruation.
Dental treatment should not be delayed if the delay causes damage to the body. These situations include:
- acute pain due to pulpitis, which is difficult to endure,
- inflammation and swelling of the gums,
- bleeding gums,
toothache, extending into the ear,
- increase in body temperature against the background of toothache, which indicates inflammation in the tissues of the oral cavity,
- the presence of an abscess in the gums.
If menstruation does not cause discomfort to a woman, then she can go to her teeth at any time. In other cases, when critical days are accompanied by pain and copious secretions, treatment can be postponed for 2-3 days after the end of menstruation. Also, do not go to the doctor if the woman suffers from dentophobia.
Before starting therapy, it is worth informing a specialist about your condition. Performing basic dental procedures has no absolute contraindications, and if the doctor complies with all the rules, they pass without complications.
When is the removal?
There are several indications for deletion:
- advanced stage of caries,
- the tooth is completely damaged and cannot be restored,
- pain that is not relieved by analgesics,
- an abnormally growing wisdom tooth that causes inflammation of soft tissue,
- a cyst on the root of a tooth, a fistula or an abscess that spreads infection to adjacent tissues,
- injuries in which the unit cannot be maintained.
Menstruation and toothache
At the time of menstruation, girls often experience discomfort, pain. There is a frequent change of mood, apathy, and general well-being deteriorates. During the period of menstruation, there is also an emotional imbalance and instability, mental disorders.
Toothache can occur at the most inappropriate moments of life, while having poor tolerance and pain relief. Preventing it, numbing at home is not always appropriate, or, on the contrary, an effective method. Some diseases of the enamel surface, gum require immediate intervention and treatment as a matter of urgency in the office at the dentist. Before the manipulation it is recommended to measure the pressure, but if at home there is no such device as a tonometer for any reason, it is possible to ask the nurse to measure the pressure in a clinical setting while being directly at the reception.
During the month is not recommended to carry out activities to remove teeth
A trip to the dentist is considered to be an important manipulation procedure, however, during the period of the menstrual cycle it is not always a good thing, while having a number of nuances:
- During menstruation, the blood has poor coagulability, that is, it is several times worse than usual. Based on this, a certain difficulty arises during the treatment itself, even a minor wound can lead to large bleeding. With regard to the dental cavity, a less successful solution, in such a case, will be the manipulation of tooth extraction, since in the course of work an unforeseen situation may arise, which would entail complications.
- During a visit to the dentist, sensitive women may feel dizzy, nausea, and their physical condition worsens.
- In the period of menstruation, chronic diseases can be exacerbated in women.
If a woman is going to make a trip to the dentist-surgeon, after consulting with him about the extraction of the tooth, in this case there are a number of features that will help to transfer this manipulation more easily.
During menstruation it is necessary to reduce the consumption of coffee, cheese and chocolate.
During menstruation, it is recommended not to consume or even reduce to a minimum such foods and drinks as coffee, cheese and chocolate, as they can affect the female body (anxiety can appear on the woman’s general mood, her differences, also her heartbeat).
Note! Before the immediate start of manipulation, being at the reception at the dentist, it is imperative to inform the doctor about the state of health in general at the moment, about anxiety, about menstruation, if it passes at the time of treatment of the dental cavity.
At the time of menstruation, taking medication, for example, Aspirin, is considered undesirable for the female body, since it is this medicine that dilutes the blood. However, to relieve pain, doctors recommend taking such drugs as: No-spa, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen. It is these drugs that will not contribute to even more bleeding of the uterus.
Women who prefer bathing procedures prefer hot baths rather than showers, it is advisable to avoid such actions at the time of menstruation. Bath is not considered a sterile place, despite the fact that high temperatures contribute to the activation of the abundant flow of menstruation.
To investigate dental elements by means of an X-ray image is not prohibited. To the best of the correctness of the procedure (parts of the body are covered to prevent radiation), the doctor performs the procedure instantly without the risk of deterioration during menstruation.
Manipulation is carried out in two ways - using soda-water solution and by means of ultrasound. There is no need to postpone cleaning for the period of menstruation. The duration of the procedure takes half an hour, so you can perform it on any day of the cycle without restrictions.
You can brush your teeth on any day of the cycle without restrictions.
Reference! Also allowed the procedure of saturation of dental elements with minerals. Menstruation is not able to worsen the result of a medical procedure. Especially sessions should be conducted continuously, so as not to reduce the effectiveness of therapy.
Toothache can lead to at least a removal procedure. Here is just what to do if during this period began monthly? If the procedure does not tolerate delay, it is necessary to urgently remove the diseased element in order to prevent the serious consequences of infection and the inflammatory process. In the worst case, during menstruation, removal may be accompanied by an increased level of bleeding.
The secrets of visiting the dentist will tell the video.
Despite the discomfort during this period, there are no absolute contraindications for any dental procedures. Performing the basic procedures - cleaning, sealing, removing stones on the surface, with all the rules followed by the doctor, passes successfully without the risk of developing inflammation. However, the removal of the dental element should be postponed until the completion of menstruation. This is due to insufficient blood coagulation during this period.
Recommended food during menstruation. Products that are considered useful in use before dental treatment
What can be dangerous to visit the dentist during menstruation
For the female body, dentistry during menstruation can be dangerous for several reasons:
- During critical days, the woman’s nervous system is under stress. Excessive sensitivity, irritability, acute perception of any discomfort can interfere with the implementation of dental intervention and simply worsen the patient's already poor emotional state, and a negative can cause hormonal imbalance,
- during menstruation, many women feel fatigue and severe fatigue, especially with heavy and painful discharge. At such times, it is extremely difficult to sustain a long treatment process in the dental chair,
- It is not necessary to treat the teeth during menstruation with the use of painkillers, since they can be otherwise perceived by the body. If you cannot do without anesthesia surgery, you will have to either increase its dose or suffer discomfort,
- during menstruation, the blood's ability to coagulate significantly decreases, it is a natural process of the female body, during which the uterus is cleaned from the inner layer that has performed its function. It is this feature of the organism that is dangerous when complications of bleeding occur after tooth extraction,
- woman more acutely perceives pain. This is especially true for surgical operations, which are necessarily associated with pain. During this period, they are carried out almost always with the use of anesthesia. The strongest pains occur when it is necessary to remove a wisdom tooth, since it has very long and sometimes curved roots, which leave severe damage to the gums after the operation,
- reduced regenerative capacity of tissues due to changes in hormonal levels, this leads to inhibition of the generation of new cells. With such complications, you should not only remove the tooth, but install the pin in the jaw, because it reduces the chances of its survival in the bone tissue,
- during menses immunity falls. The reason for such changes is still the same hormonal imbalance, therefore complex dental procedures during menstruation are not carried out due to their low effectiveness and high risk of introducing infection into the injured area of the oral cavity. Curing infection at this time is much more difficult than on a normal day of the cycle.
If it is possible to postpone a visit to the dentist, then it is better to use it and go to a specialist at least on the last day of menstruation, when the body begins to restore its protective functions.
What procedures can be done during menstruation
If a woman has a period, this does not mean that she should not go to the dentist. Of course, it is advisable to wait 1-2 days, when the discharge will be less intense, and the state of health will be more stable, and the blood clotting process will normalize. But there are a number of dental procedures that can be performed regardless of the day of the cycle. These include the following manipulations:
- dental fillings. If there is surface caries or its 2nd degree, which requires only light cleaning of the damaged area, then a tooth may be filled during monthly periods. Usually this procedure is done without an anesthetic injection and does not require subsequent antibiotics. Даже при наличии инфекции, она не настолько широко распространяется, чтобы задеть здоровые ткани. Не требуется дренаж и многоступенчатая терапия, лечение производится за 1 визит. Месячные не влияют на процесс сцепки пломбы и зуба.The bone tissue will not be more fragile at this time and will not resist the formulation of light-cured and some other material.
- prosthetic teeth. This procedure refers to multistage, so it does not matter what material is used. During one visit, the teeth are turned, then an impression is made, fitting is carried out and as a result the design is brought to the desired size. All these manipulations are not prohibited during menstruation. You can even install a prosthesis, with the exception of inserting the pin for the implant,
- x-ray of teeth. Manipulation is instant and absolutely painless. The film is enclosed under the gum area of interest to the doctor; it is in this direction that radiation is emitted. The rest of the body is superimposed in the form of plates that do not allow x-rays, for women especially the pelvic organs and breasts are protected. Radiation will not affect the intensity of the menstrual flow,
- You can do the brushing at the dentist. Professional cleaning is mainly done with ultrasonic waves or water-saline solution, therefore, with the arrival of menstruation, it is not necessary to cancel the pre-designated procedure. It lasts no more than 40 minutes and will not affect the woman’s cycle in any way,
- enamel saturation with missing minerals (remineralization). The procedure takes place in several stages and is carried out to increase the strength of tooth enamel and get rid of surface caries. If one or several planned procedures are not performed, the infection may remain in the tooth, then all previous remineralization sessions will be useless. If the state of health during menstruation allows you to go to the dentist for this procedure, then you should not postpone the visit,
- teeth can be removed during menstruation, but we will talk about the conditions for performing this procedure in a separate section.
If you come to the dentist during your period, you should definitely warn the doctor about it, especially if you need to remove one of the teeth. This is necessary to assess the possible risks that are associated with the healing of the hole, the effect of the anesthetic, possible infection, etc.
If the teeth are sick immediately before the onset of menstruation, then you should not panic and immediately tear or seal them, because this can be one of the manifestations of premenstrual syndrome, when the swollen tissues put pressure on the nerve endings in the jaw area. In this case, it is possible to get rid of toothache by stabilizing the level of hormones with medicinal decoction or taking painkillers.
Is it possible to remove a tooth during menstruation?
In the professional literature does not contain specific contraindications to the extraction of teeth, at the same time, this procedure should not be carried out in such conditions:
- cardiovascular diseases in the acute stage,
- diseases caused by viral infections
- oncological formations
- mental illness in the acute stage.
Tooth extraction during menstruation is not prohibited, but it should be borne in mind that at this time the risk of developing the following complications increases:
- bleeding from the hole. It can be quite abundant, because during this period a woman's blood coagulation is reduced. On a normal day of the cycle, the blood stops going out of the wound for 10 minutes after tooth extraction, and during menstruation this period stretches indefinitely, and significant blood loss can lead to a deterioration of the woman’s well-being.
- inflammatory process that may eventually become infectious. These two conditions contribute to a decrease in immunity and prolonged blood loss during menstruation. To reduce the risk of inflammation, it is often necessary to rinse the mouth after tooth extraction, in order to wash off the remnants of blood clots. Due to a decrease in the regenerative functions of the tissue, instead of healing, they inflame, and a weak immunity cannot overcome the bacteria. As a consequence, gingival abscess, affecting the soft tissues, and in more severe cases, the jaw bone,
- common complications, ranging from severe deterioration of health to fainting and sudden surges in blood pressure,
- hormonal imbalance. Due to the severe stress that a woman experiences when she has to tear her teeth during menstruation, a complete violation of the cycle can occur. It is possible that the following periods may come late.
Since dental problems rarely occur suddenly, as far as possible, routine dental checkups should be carried out at the dentist to prevent their occurrence altogether. If it so happens that the critical days fell on the date of the next visit to the dentist, then try to postpone the treatment at least to their last day, when the body recovers a bit, and your health improves significantly.
There are cases when it is impossible to delay a visit to the dental clinic, and even menstruation should not be stopped, since the delay can significantly worsen the condition of a woman. We urgently need to go to the dentist in such situations:
- acute toothache that cannot be endured. Due to the painful shock, the nervous and cardiovascular systems can be disturbed,
- high temperature, indicating the development of the inflammatory process in the aching tooth,
- if, with a toothache, the ear also hurts,
- flux and other types of tissue overflow with biological fluids,
- bleeding from the gums,
- purulent discharge from the gums, which can cause blood poisoning.
The above conditions require the immediate intervention of a specialist without any restrictions on the day of the cycle. At the same time, a little preparation should be made for the extraction of a tooth during critical days.
Preparation for the procedure
To reduce the risk of bleeding after tooth extraction during menstruation, you must first prepare for the procedure, for this you need to follow the following recommendations a couple of days before the visit to the clinic:
- do not drink alcohol and strong drinks,
- drink less coffee
- not to subject the body to intense loads, stresses and nervous overstrain,
- do not overcool and overheat,
- do not give in to surgical interventions,
- drink drugs that increase blood coagulation,
- If you are taking any medications systematically, you must inform the dentist about it.
There are cases when the patient enters the clinic with acute pain and just during the critical days, she simply does not have the opportunity to prepare in advance for the operation. In this case, you should not forget about the increased risk of postoperative complications that are easier to prevent than to cure. In order to prevent negative consequences after tooth extraction, the following recommendations should be followed:
- take all prescribed medications and do the necessary number of mouth rinses, while not being allowed to self-medicate and use advice from the side,
- after the manipulation, wait at the clinic for some time, so that the dentist can make sure that the blood coagulation and the healing of the hole after the tooth extraction is normal,
- Take a taxi home, especially at extremely low and high ambient temperatures, because extreme cold or stuffiness in public transport can cause a deterioration in the health of a woman.
If the temperature rises after the removal of the tooth, nausea and dizziness appear, it is necessary to urgently consult a doctor, and you should not immediately drink alcohol, take a bath and go to the steam room immediately after the intervention. In order not to harm your health, you should also not take excessive physical activity.
These are all general recommendations, in each case the woman, together with the dentist, decides on the need for dental treatment during the period of critical days. If this time for a woman passes without much discomfort, then you should not postpone a visit to the dental clinic, as the delay can cause deterioration of her health.
Is it possible to visit a dentist during critical days or is it better to refrain from this undertaking
Experts say that this is a rather complicated question that cannot be answered unambiguously. Menstruation is not the time when a woman is optimistic and can withstand any psychological stress. However, not every woman can endure dental unbearable pain.
Doctors say that if a tooth is not very sore and troubling during menstruation, it is better to postpone its treatment for a more favorable time when the girl's mood returns to normal. But if it is almost impossible to endure the hellish pain, a woman has dizziness, and from time to time she loses her sanity from torment, you cannot refuse the help of a dentist.
If you look at this situation from the other side, then we can conclude that dental treatment during menstruation is permissible only in those cases when the woman is practically healthy.
It is not recommended to carry out treatment during menstruation:
- women who suffer from acute respiratory and viral diseases (influenza, herpes, heart attack, etc.), because the disease itself is a stress for a weakened female body,
- the fair sex, in which menstruation is accompanied by headache, high blood pressure and even body temperature,
- women whose critical days should begin in a few days.
It is better to treat the teeth in the middle of the cycle. It was at this time that the psychological favorable condition contributes to the treatment of the oral cavity in the dentist, which in most people causes panic and fear.
It is also worth saying that nature has disposed in such a way that in the female body during the period of menstruation there is a little less blood than in everyday life. The extra blood loss that can occur during dentistry will be extremely unfavorable for your well-being. She may lose consciousness, her strength will gradually leave, and she will feel very tired and drowsy.
Considering the pros and cons, it can be concluded that visiting the dentist during critical days should be very careful, only when absolutely necessary, subject yourself to a dental treatment procedure.
How can teeth be treated during menstruation?
Menstruation is a process where the female body is undergoing a hormonal adjustment. At this time, the body is so weak that sometimes it does not withstand the slightest interference.
These days, any blood test will show that there are not enough elements in the biologically important fluid that are responsible for blood clotting. That is why professionals argue that it is possible to treat teeth during menstruation only if the integrity of the tooth and gums are not disturbed. Otherwise, the woman risks losing a lot of blood due to poor coagulation.
The dentists themselves insist that it is really better to wait a bit, because the bleeding is very difficult to stop, and this is not the best effect on the girl's well-being. You can not postpone only those problems that are associated with serious suppurations. Treatment in this case can not be postponed in any case. Then dentists use special preparations that promote better blood clotting.
How to help yourself at home cure a tooth
To wait for a visit to the dentist for complete medical care, during your period you will have to apply proven recipes of traditional medicine. Any dentist who has been working in a dental clinic for several years can provide these drugs and medicines.
First of all, resort to the use of mummy. If you rinse the mouth cavity several times a day, the remedy will relieve inflammation for a certain time. Replace the mummy can solution of calendula and medicinal chamomile. A cotton swab moistened with these substances is applied to a specific tooth to relieve pain.
Everyone knows the beneficial effects of propolis. It disinfects and anesthetizes the entire oral cavity. As a rule, propolis is used in the form of gum or alcoholic infusion.
After analyzing all the above, we can conclude that it is still not desirable to treat teeth during pregnancy.
Possible complications and risks
Dentists do not always take to remove teeth during menstruation in women, because the procedure is fraught with unpleasant consequences:
Disruption of the blood clotting process can cause severe bleeding. Normally, it should last no more than 10 minutes, but during menstruation this period may be longer.
- During menstruation, many women are psychologically unstable - dizziness or loss of consciousness can even provoke the appearance of a syringe with anesthetic or dental instruments.
- High blood levels of the hormone prostaglandin reduces the pain threshold. The pain is felt more acutely, which can lead to fainting and an increase in blood pressure. Discomfort may persist even after extraction, and painkillers with a sensitivity will produce a weak effect.
- Weakened immunity is not able to resist bacteria, as a result of which even a small cut causes the infection to develop. It is possible that after the extraction of the tooth, the woman will have to treat the inflammation or suppuration of the gums.
- Due to hormonal changes, the body can sometimes reject the materials used for filling - the filling will fall out faster, and the photopolymer composition will change its color.
- Strong stress experienced during menstruation, is able to knock a cycle.
How to relieve pain at home?
Folk remedies will help reduce pain:
- Rinse with a solution of salt and soda. Add 0.5 tsp. each substance in 250 ml of warm boiled water, mix the crystals well and rinse your mouth at intervals of 2 hours.
- Essential oil of fir or clove. It is necessary to moisten a piece of cotton wool in oil and attach it to the gum for 10–15 minutes. Allowed to repeat the procedure throughout the day.
- Medicinal decoctions. Take 1 tbsp. l chamomile, calendula, sage or a mixture of these herbs and pour a glass of boiling water. The fluid should be drained and cooled. The tool is used to rinse several times a day. A similar method is used to prepare a decoction of calamus root, which is also used for irrigation of the oral cavity.
Recipes of traditional medicine will help with inflammation of the mucous and weak pain, but if the discomfort is more pronounced, it is better to use medicines. Such drugs as Nurofen, Novalgin, Spazmalgon, Faspik, etc., relieve toothache well. If a woman took an anesthetic on the eve of a visit to the dentist, he should inform about it.