The mood and well-being of a woman is completely subordinated to fluctuations of the hormonal background, therefore, during the period before menstruation and during them, the fair sex cannot boast of good health. The thing is that a few days before menstruation, the level of progesterone in the blood is as high as possible, which provokes a number of unpleasant symptoms in a woman. These are heaviness in the lower abdomen, skin rash, excessive appetite, drowsiness, swelling of the mammary glands and swelling. As for the last symptom, fluid retention occurs during premenstrual syndrome (hereinafter - PMS) in the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity and uterus. Then, the edema spreads to parts of the body that contain fatty tissue (hips, abdomen, and buttocks), which is why many women are horrified to find that the usual size of the pants becomes cramped. Puffiness also provokes a decrease in the number of urination and the volume of urine secreted, because progesterone is considered an antidiuretic hormone.
During the end of the menstrual cycle in women, in most cases, the face and legs swell, which causes significant discomfort, especially in the heat. It should be noted that edemas during ICP are subject to:
- overweight women
- women with vascular dystonia,
- women with kidney disease,
- women in the premenopausal period.
How to deal with swelling of the legs and face with PMS?
First of all, the correction of the daily regimen will help prevent swelling in the last days before menstruation. On the eve of critical days, every woman should pay increased attention to the diet. It is recommended to limit the consumption of fatty meats, dairy products, fried foods, smoked meats, prepared foods and spices. It does not interfere at the time to exclude drinks with caffeine content (coffee, cola, energy), as they excite the nervous system and exacerbate the problem of edema. In the menu, you can enter products with a diuretic effect: peaches, plums, apricots, citrus fruits, apples, cucumbers, zucchini, watermelon and pumpkin.
Of the drinks should give preference to clean water, herbal decoctions and natural juices. High-quality drinking and nutrition will help prevent swelling of the legs and face before menstruation.
If the swelling does appear, you can get rid of them with the help of some simple tricks:
- If the face is swollen, then in the morning you can improve its appearance with the help of such a mask: raw potato tuber is finely grated, and the resulting mass is evenly distributed over the eyelids. The mask is left for 15 minutes, then wash it off with cool water.
- Two cotton discs are moistened in cooled green tea and for 15 minutes they apply a compress for the eyelids. Green tea perfectly tones the skin and relieves puffiness.
- Perfectly removes bags under the eyes mask of egg white. To perform the procedure, it is sufficient to whisk the whisk of proteins and apply it under the lower eyelids for 15 minutes.
- The mask of raw protein perfectly eliminates puffiness under the eyes. They do it like this: whisk whites of squirrels and apply it under the lower eyelids for 15 minutes.
- Whole milk is poured into a cup and two ice cubes are added. Milk impregnates two cotton discs and applies them as a compress for 10 minutes to the eyelids.
- One teaspoon of chopped parsley is mixed with two teaspoons of sour cream with 20% fat. The mask is applied on the face and after 20 minutes wash with cold water.
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary are crushed and poured a glass of boiling water. Broth insist seven days in a dark place. In the morning, the infusion is used instead of cleanser.
- To remove leg swelling during PMS, you can wipe them every night with an ice cube made from chamomile decoction or strong coffee.
- To get the swelling on the legs gone, it is recommended to prepare such a bath: a glass of salt is dissolved in 10 liters of water, and then a tablespoon of soda and a teaspoon of iodine are added. In the resulting liquid for 10 minutes lower legs. The procedure can be done at any time of the day.
At home, you can also make some means for oral administration:
- Three bay leaves are poured with a glass of boiling water. Broth take a tablespoon three times a day. Important: if there is a high probability that a woman is pregnant, then this remedy cannot be taken to eliminate edema.
- A tablespoon of dried and chopped rosehips pour 0.5 liters of boiling water and infuse the broth all night under a lid. Take three glasses a day. Rosehip not only helps fight edema, but also strengthens the immune system, which becomes weakened before menstruation.
- Three tablespoons of unpeeled oats is poured with a liter of water and drawn overnight. In the morning, the infusion is boiled for 20 minutes. Take a means of oats 1/5 cup five times a day.
During the end of the cycle, a woman should rest a lot, walk in the fresh air and not worry about trifles. To avoid puffiness of the legs, it is recommended to walk in comfortable shoes, to avoid hypodynamia and to do simple exercises for the legs. To prevent swelling of the face should sleep on a high pillow, do not abuse the salty food in the evening, and also limit the load on the eyes before going to bed (reading, working at the computer).
When are medications prescribed?
For some women, PMS manifestations require medical treatment. The decision about prescribing is taken by the gynecologist, but only if the woman has passed all the research, in particular, a blood test for sex hormones. In most cases, in severe PMS, hormonal preparations, vitamins, potassium-saving diuretics, vitamins and sedatives are prescribed. Medicines are taken according to the scheme painted by the doctor. Edema before menstruation can not be independently treated with diuretics!
It is worth considering that severe edema may not be associated with PMS. If after the measures taken, the swelling does not pass or is aggravated, then, most likely, it is caused by other reasons. For an accurate diagnosis should consult a doctor and undergo a full examination.
Any form of PMS, including edema, has its own risk factors. We list the main ones:
- Age. The older the woman, the more often the phenomena of premenstrual syndrome occur. There are studies that in women older than 40 years, one or another form of PMS is observed in almost 50% of cases.
- Caucasoid race.
- In urban women PMS is observed almost twice as often.
- For women engaged in intellectual work, unpleasant phenomena are more common.
- A large number of pregnancies, including childbirth, abortion, miscarriage, and other abortions.
- Late first pregnancy and childbirth, no breastfeeding period.
- Obesity and other endocrine diseases, including thyroid problems and diabetes.
- Acceptance of hormonal contraceptives is one of the most controversial risk factors for PMS. In some patients, while taking birth control pills, PMS symptoms in various forms can actually occur. It is interesting that in the second half of women, the only means of treating premenstrual syndrome is oral contraceptives. Here is a mysterious dissonance.
- Chronic stress, lack of sleep.
- Inflammatory diseases of the genital organs, especially various adnexitis and salpingoophoritis.
- Gynecological surgery in violation of the anatomy of the pelvic organs.
- Brain injuries and neuroinfections.
- Improper diet - a large amount of refined sugars, fats, preservatives, an excess of salty and spicy foods.
- Insufficient or improper drinking regime - often drinking coffee, strong tea, carbonated, sugary drinks, energy drinks, as well as alcohol.
- Lack of exercise and lack of physical activity particularly affect the occurrence of the edematous form of PMS.
It used to be that the main “culprits” of any form of PMS are estrogens - or rather, their excess. Then put forward a version of the lack of hormone of the second phase of the menstrual cycle - progesterone. Numerous studies of women with different variants of premenstrual syndrome have found that gross violations of the hormonal background are quite rare. Therefore, the latest version of scientists about the nature of premenstrual tension syndrome is an imbalance of sex hormones, as well as their peculiarities of interaction with receptors of the brain and other target organs.
The edematous form of PMS can bother a woman in many ways:
- Swelling of the legs.
- Swelling of the hands.
- Swelling of the face.
- General weight gain, sometimes reaching 3-5 kg!
- Enlargement of the mammary glands, their roughness and sensitivity is also a typical form of the edematous form of PMS.
Edema with mild premenstrual syndrome appears 3-7 days before the expected menstruation. As the course worsens, the symptoms begin earlier and earlier, sometimes without leaving a “bright window”. Edema, as a rule, pass during menstruation - with a mild form - immediately, with a more severe course, a woman may be disturbed until the very end of menstruation.
With combined forms of PMS, edema can be combined with neuropsychiatric and cardiovascular manifestations, significantly aggravating the course of the syndrome. The older a woman becomes, the more often and more worried about her premenstrual syndrome.
How to fight
Any form of premenstrual tension disturbs women, interfering with their usual rhythm of life and disturbing its quality. Of course, PMS is a reason to consult a gynecologist, who, if necessary, refer the patient to a consultation with allied specialists: an endocrinologist, a psychologist or a cardiologist.
Here are the basic principles of the treatment of premenstrual syndrome and edema control:
- Physical activity and sports
- Normalization of drinking regime
- Normalization of the diet.
- Restoring normal sleep and rest.
No matter how trite this recommendation sounds, in the case of an edematous form of PMS, it really works. In fact, this is a very simple explanation. When muscle movement occurs, mechanical stimulation of the veins and small vessels occurs, which causes blood from the venous depots to rise to the heart, engaging in metabolic processes. The more active the blood flow occurs, the less chance of swelling. In addition, sports exercise slightly changes metabolism, rearranging the metabolism, and improves kidney function. In addition, active perspiration during sports also contributes to the "discharge" of excess fluid. Sport does not have to be power. It helps very well with edema, swimming, Pilates, yoga, aqua aerobics, walking and jogging.
Many doctors recommend to significantly limit the amount of fluid consumed. This recommendation is relevant only for patients with impaired renal function. For healthy young women, the volume of fluid should remain in the range of 1.5-2 liters per day.
However, it is worth reviewing the nature of drinking. Pure non-carbonated water, moderately mineralized water, weak green tea, unsweetened birch sap are excellent for quenching thirst. You can also use a drink with a slight diuretic effect - broth of lingonberry, birch leaf, knotweed, cranberry and lingonberry fruit drinks.
It is necessary to eliminate as much as possible simple refined carbohydrates, especially sweets and flour, as well as fats. On the eve of menstruation, you do not need to abuse salty food, smoked meats, spicy foods. The basis of the diet should be proteins - chicken, fish, cottage cheese, dairy products and fiber - fresh vegetables and fruits.
It has been scientifically proven that the syndrome of chronic sleep deprivation disrupts the work of the adrenal glands, which directly regulate the exchange of salts and water in the body. Women sleeping less than 8 hours a day are more prone to edema.
Sometimes a change in mode and lifestyle is not enough. In such cases the help of doctors is obligatory. There may be gross hormonal disorders, kidney, heart, or thyroid disease requiring special treatment.
Some patients are shown hormonal contraceptives or progesterone drugs, which the gynecologist must select individually. Sometimes the pills have to be changed several times, achieving the ideal result and the patient's well-being.
Edema before menstruation is not very pleasant symptoms, but still not fatal. It will take only a few days and there will be no trace of them.
Which leads to swelling during menstruation.
Before menstruation, a woman undergoes many changes in the body that are associated with hormonal disturbances and a wrong lifestyle. There is increased irritability and aggressiveness, swelling of the legs, arms, chest increases. These symptoms are temporary and pass on the first or second day of menstruation.
The exact causes of edema have not been identified, there are many theories and assumptions.
Overabundance and lack of estrogen
Any abnormal estrogen levels lead to swelling and tenderness during premenstrual syndrome. Excess hormone provokes a delay in the body sodium, which leads to the accumulation of excess fluid.
Swelling of the chest, arms, legs and face during menstruation is common. One thing, if such a condition causes discomfort and lasts more than a week, it is necessary to consult a doctor.
An increase in the level of prolactin in the blood also provokes sodium stagnation in the body. It is proved that even normal indicators of the hormone, affect the occurrence of edema. This is due to the increased sensitivity of the connective tissue to the substance.
Constant swelling and fluid retention in the body before menstruation may occur against the background of stress and nervous disorders. Also, this symptom is observed in women with chronic diseases.
Doctors distinguish groups of girls who are most prone to edema:
- excess weight,
- kidney inflammation,
- liver and kidney failure
- vascular and heart pathologies,
- cycle failure,
- first menstruation,
- last menstruation before the start of menopause.
Also, the reason may be a lack of vitamins, especially groups B, E and C. Puffiness may occur if a woman takes hormonal drugs for a long time.
How swelling appears
Premenstrual syndrome for some women is very painful. They do not only swell the chest, legs, arms, they also feel weak, can not work and concentrate on one thing.
The main symptoms of the disease:
- legs and arms swell up
- puffiness of the face before menstruation: swollen eyelids, bags under the eyes,
- swelling in the abdomen,
- swelling of the chest before menstruation.
The listed symptoms of PMS are a normal physiological condition before menstruation. However, if the puffiness lasts more than a week, you should consult a doctor. Perhaps this symptom is not associated with hormonal changes and signal serious diseases.
In order to determine the reason why the body and face swell during menstruation, it is necessary to consult a general practitioner and a gynecologist. They will examine you and feel the places of edema.
To confirm any disease is assigned to the analysis: complete blood count, urinalysis, daily urination analysis, sex hormone analysis.
When detecting deviations from the norm, methods of instrumental diagnostics can be prescribed: ultrasound of the uterus, ovaries, kidneys and liver, CT of cerebral vessels. It is advisable to consult a doctor during the exacerbation of swelling, a few days before menstruation.
Drug treatment is prescribed depending on the identified cause of the swelling. Mandatory therapy with diuretics.
Also, women can be assigned to:
- sedatives for neurological disorders,
- venotonics in case of problems with vessels
- herbal tinctures in violation of the menstrual cycle in women,
- antibiotics for inflammation of the kidneys, bladder,
- hormonal drugs in violation of the hormonal background,
- vitamins to strengthen the immune system.
It is impossible to prescribe medication alone. Diuretics are contraindicated to use in diabetes, hypokalemia, cirrhosis and renal failure.
The main methods of combating water retention:
For face: fruit compress, rubbing with ice, egg masks, parsley mask with sour cream, milk lotion for eyelids.
For legs: rubbing ice cubes from chamomile decoction, foot massage, bath with iodine and soda.
For hands: salt baths, rubbing hands, decoction of bay leaf.
For the overall effect: decoction of blueberries, dandelion, wild rose, lingonberry, chamomile.
Reception of diuretic herbs should be coordinated with the doctor. Do not combine diuretics and folk recipes, otherwise not only excess fluid, but also useful elements will be removed from the body.
Lifestyle and nutrition
Detains fluid in the body and not the right lifestyle of a woman. Puffiness is observed all the time, but increases during the period of PMS and menses.
The main points that can cause an increase in limbs and abnormal swelling of the face:
Nutrition. Исключите из рациона продукты, которые содержат много соли, усилителей вкуса, искусственных добавок. You can not abuse the fried, fatty, smoked, semi-finished products, pickles, pickles, canned food. It is best to eat lean meat, vegetables, seeds, dairy products. Avoid coffee and soda, instead drink more purified water, green tea and herbal decoctions.
Bad habits. Smoking and drinking alcohol adversely affects the female body. Serious hormonal disorders occur, the cycle is lost, bleeding during menstruation increases. Therefore, give up these weaknesses, especially in the premenstrual period.
Sport. Take daily physical activity, exercise or walk more often, give up the elevator, ride a bike. If you do not have enough time to practice in the gym, do daily exercises for 20 minutes.
Proper lifestyle is the prevention of the appearance of puffiness before menstruation and any other problems with the urogenital system. If you are overweight, try to correct nutrition and physical activity, as fat is the cause of fluid retention in the body. But do not overdo it, otherwise you can provoke dehydration.
Usually, swelling during menstruation does not lead to any complications, and does not require treatment. However, severe swelling of the entire body, especially of the face, over time becomes a cause for concern.
If the swelling of the legs is triggered by tumors in the pelvis, ignoring this symptom leads to the last degree of the disease. Failure of a hormonal nature can lead to disruption of the endocrine system. The most dangerous of these are thyroid cancer and diabetes. Therefore, to maintain the health of a woman, it is recommended to regularly visit a gynecologist and keep a monthly calendar.
Puffiness before menstruation should not scare a woman. Basically it is a physiological process that takes place during the week. The swelling may persist in the early days of menstruation. Especially often there is an increase in the breast and swelling of the legs. If fluid retention bothers you and is accompanied by painful sensations, be sure to consult a gynecologist.
Why do swelling occur before menstruation?
Estrogens - sex hormones produced by ovarian follicles, are considered the main "culprits", although no specific evidence was received: it is assumed that they retain sodium in the cells and the fluid is also retained - that's swelling. It is rarely mentioned that the level of estrogen is high, not just before the menstruation, when edema appears, but in the middle of the cycle.
It is also believed that at this time the level of progesterone, a hormone produced by the corpus luteum of the ovary and performing many functions, drops (progesterone is responsible for the normal cycle, updating the endometrium and the ability to become pregnant, removes excess sodium, exerting a diuretic effect). Before the onset of menstruation, the level of progesterone increases, and decreases before they begin; during menstruation, the body produces very little of it. However, the swelling goes away with the onset of menstruation, progesterone cannot be “blamed for everything,” but it is still considered that a decrease in its level contributes to the accumulation of sodium.
At the same time, prolactin, which is responsible for the production of breast milk, “comes on the scene”: the egg cell is ripe - it means that we must act. It can also hold fluid, especially if cells are sensitive to it.
Another hormone - ACTH, affects the production of estrogen and progesterone, and during stress in the pituitary gland it is produced more: it also relates to fluid retention.
The other side is associated with a lack of vitamins, minerals and an excess of harmful substances, but this topic is too extensive. Let us briefly recall: for many women, PMS is manifested in increased appetite (this is normal - the body “stores” in case of pregnancy) and the exacerbation of taste preferences. The latter, with an abundance of all sorts of "snacks" and ready-made products, have a lot of modern people: it is easy to get used to - it is difficult to refuse.
Often, before menstruation, women "allow" themselves to be spicy and salty, smoked and fat: the body is already prone to edema, and then there are such "supplements." Sweets and fat “milk”, pastries and canned pickles also contribute to the accumulation of water - especially against the background of stress, often “stuck” during PMS manifestations.
At the same time, I don’t want to move, there is a desire to “lie down in a warm hole” - also “conceived by nature”, and enjoy something: the activity decreases - fluid is retained in the tissues.
Another opinion, not without grounds: accumulating, the liquid protects the female body from dehydration, possible against the background of blood loss during menstruation - also nature took care. Nutrients are also removed with blood - for example, B vitamins and iron: the protective mechanism does not seem superfluous.
Edema before menstruation - the norm?
Peppermint infusion can be drunk 5-6 times a day. 30 g of dry raw material are poured with boiling water (1 liter), the container is covered and left for about an hour: the edema disappears quickly.
Other diuretic herbs: burdock, motherwort, chamomile, parsley, corn silk, hawthorn (flowers and fruits), etc.